MLB starting pitcher ratings with projected w/l record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ebemiss View Post
    I created a new Won Loss stat NOT USING RUN SUPPORT that is different than their actual won/loss stat. That was the point of me posting these.
    Creating these stats is highly appreciated and very useful. However, a more difficult task is to convince the general public that pitcher's W-L records aren't individual pitching stats, but team stats in which a particular pitcher met a fairly arbitrary criteria of innings pitched.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
      Creating these stats is highly appreciated and very useful. However, a more difficult task is to convince the general public that pitcher's W-L records aren't individual pitching stats, but team stats in which a particular pitcher met a fairly arbitrary criteria of innings pitched.
      I hear you. I listen to guys on radio and television go on about a pitcher who has a great won/loss record failing to realize his team scores 6 or 7 runs a game for him.

I think some of the public has come around to "our" line of thinking. They would have never named Felix Hernandez the CY Young a few years back with a 14-13 record (?). You are correct though, getting the rest of them to get on board that the w/l stat is meaningless as it's currently constructed is another matter.

I look back at some of the past CY Young award winners and all anybody cared about was wins. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ebemiss View Post
        I hear you. I listen to guys on radio and television go on about a pitcher who has a great won/loss record failing to realize his team scores 6 or 7 runs a game for him.

I think some of the public has come around to "our" line of thinking. They would have never named Felix Hernandez the CY Young a few years back with a 14-13 record (?). You are correct though, getting the rest of them to get on board that the w/l stat is meaningless as it's currently constructed is another matter.

I look back at some of the past CY Young award winners and all anybody cared about was wins. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.
        I created a thread which touches on this http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...-players-don-t
        Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X