Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

radical shift against right handed hitters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radical shift against right handed hitters?

Why are teams only using radical shifts against LHHs? wouldn't it make sense to use them against RH pull hitters too? has any team ever tried them?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Teams have used them in the past (Vlad Guerrero, McGwire). Not sure about recently. I haven't seen one in a while.

I asked the same question in this thread, and I still don't know why they're so rare.
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...anders-so-rare

Comment

Maddon and the Rays shifted against Miguel Cabrera on April 10th of this year
      UI2
      BTB

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
        Why are teams only using radical shifts against LHHs? wouldn't it make sense to use them against RH pull hitters too? has any team ever tried them?
        Seems like it would make sense for certain hitters against LH pitchers...can't say that I've been monitoring the use of the shift against LH pull hitters this year, but I can't imagine it's used that much when they're facing lefty pitchers.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

yanks yesterday against cespedes

No real overshift but 2B up the middle and tex pretty far off the bag. didn't really work since runners advanced on wild pitch and then cespedes walked but still interesting. 3B not in the picture but he plays deep down the LF line.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

bumping an old thread.

It seems like the shift against RHBs is on the rise too. batters like bautista and pujols face a lot of shifts.
            bautistashift.png

http://www.billjamesonline.com/shift...nded_hitters_/

Comment

Not as effective cause the first baseman has to play close enough to the bag to make the putout on a ground out. look how wide open the right side is in the above picture. More than 1/2 of the infield is not covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyfootball View Post
                Not as effective cause the first baseman has to play close enough to the bag to make the putout on a ground out. look how wide open the right side is in the above picture. More than 1/2 of the infield is not covered.
                Also because you can't throw a guy out at 1B on a groundball into short LF.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X