Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
    In theory, if this query could be mechanized, it would be possible to repeat it for all players of interest, no? You could do team splits for the Yankees and every regular over a given era, for example?
    I do think it would be interesting, but my method was very manual - not practical to do on a large scale. I simply dumped the game logs from each year into excel, and added the team result up. See example for Jeter 2012, the team result is in column 8. The data obviously exists, at least for current seasons, so it can be done - but I don't have the data to do it

Comment

In each player's split page is a section for what they did in wins and losses. You can do it by single season or career and you can get what they did each and every year on a single page.

Comment

You can also go to BRef's PI and do game finder queries based on wins and losses going all the way back to 1918.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
          In each player's split page is a section for what they did in wins and losses. You can do it by single season or career and you can get what they did each and every year on a single page.
          looks like I did it the hard way but glad to see the numbers matched

Comment

I thought about this a bit more. WAR is a non perfect tool that attempts to quantify what we know that affects team wins in general and covert it into a numeric measure. It has limitations and it's base assumptions are not that it's perfect but that it quantifies what is objectively quantifiable towards team wins without regard to timing. It can't and doesn't try to quantify non statistical performances or performance that relates to the timing of the performance (e.g., men on base, score, etc.)

This question looks at it differently and asks what does each player do to affect the outcome in toto. Thus, everything. Even things like: the player is a good leader, or the runner 'causes' problems when he is on base, or clutch hitting, the catcher 'handles the pithcers well', all gets accounted for in this question.

It just requires a very advanced sort of metrics that I don't think I've seen. It would be an amazing feat to develop this.
            Last edited by drstrangelove; 08-01-2012, 11:00 AM.
            "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

You're basically talking about WOWY (with or without you) which has been around for a very long time. Tango likes to use it a lot and I've used it often to try and measure a lot of the stuff that people think cannot be measured but somehow has a large effect on games.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                Great work. Thank you.

Stats like these seem to undermine WAR just a bit. Then again, a "replacement player" on the Yankees will generally be better than a replacement player on an average team.
                It seems to favor Jeter, although I will give you that the sample sizes are a lot different. Many more and growing for A-Rod, a lot less for Captain Healthy.
                Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X