Is there a comeback of defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a comeback of defense?

Of course hitting is still the bigger part of the equation but it seems that there is a slight shift back to defense in both sabermetrics and the game itself.

a couple of years ago the saber guys were all about OBP and OPS+. in the book moneyball they were talking about moving hitters to positions they don't belong to boost offense.

however in the last years defense stats came a lot more into the focus. and then there is the shift thing which seems to revolutionize defense right now (there was always the williams shift but they do that more often even sometimes against righties.

this years world series is also an example of good defense vs sacrifizing defense for hitting (especially the cabrera thing- although I thing he handled the situation fantastically but his range is limited of course)
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

I think sabermetricians always knew how valuable defense was, but are now more (notice I said "more") able to quantify how much impact it has. I think if writers knew how much impact defense (and position) had, it would change the complexion of HOF voting and MVP/Cy Young voting.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

And when there's a name for something, like a save or WAR, it tends to attract more attention, become more real as something worth looking at or paying for.

I think another part of the swing was that moneyball is about acquiring undervalued players. When those behind the curve catch up, "Let's all get slow, high OBA sluggers, because Moneyball says so," then a different set of players becomes undevalued.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

BTW I would really love to have the OPS splits for shift vs non shift. we still don't know whether the shift is actually effective or not.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X