Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far do Home Runs REALLY go?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yankees View Post
    There was a shot (may have been Mantle) which hit the upper deck facade in Yankee Stadium while still going up, and bouced all the way back into the infield.
    The ball would have to ricochet more than 210 ft in order to do that. It's not possible.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post

      The ball would have to ricochet more than 210 ft in order to do that. It's not possible.
      Hi Carsdaddy,
      If anyone would know, it you be you, here!

      How many 500 foot home runs have been hit since 2015 (Statcast Era)? Who has the most?

      How many 500 foot home runs have you found, total, in history? Who has the most thus far?

      Thanks!

      Comment


      • Without going through my note's off the top of my head ,I remember four 500 footer's that Statcast came up with , Stanton , Mazara, Story and Dunn. As for who has the most ,that we can actually verify, I'd say the likely answer is Mark McGwire. A lot of the historically long homerun's from the 20's - 50's simply don't hold up under research. If you take the information that they provide for those homerun's you will often find that it is clearly contrary to the fact. Example's Mantle 1956 W/S at Ebbets field, the video is on youtube . A 400 foot homerun reported to be 530 ft , yes the ball was found 535 ft from the plate, if include the rolling. Or most often is the case with Ruth , they give you a point that they say the ball cleared by 20 ft , and that point is a confirmed 467 ft , than come up with a final distance of 575 ft. Clearly they have padded the distances on some of the historical homeruns , so as far as who hit the most I'd say McGwire , and no I can't prove it , as for who hit the furthest ,multiple player's are in the running for that , but are for the longest verifiable homerun ever hit has to be Dave Kingman. There is no debate to be had about how far it may have gone or where it was found or,one lone eyewitness as to where it landed. We all can see for ourselves on youtube , a 530 foot drive with a hangtime of 7 seconds.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post
          Without going through my note's off the top of my head ,I remember four 500 footer's that Statcast came up with , Stanton , Mazara, Story and Dunn. As for who has the most ,that we can actually verify, I'd say the likely answer is Mark McGwire. A lot of the historically long homerun's from the 20's - 50's simply don't hold up under research. If you take the information that they provide for those homerun's you will often find that it is clearly contrary to the fact. Example's Mantle 1956 W/S at Ebbets field, the video is on youtube . A 400 foot homerun reported to be 530 ft , yes the ball was found 535 ft from the plate, if include the rolling. Or most often is the case with Ruth , they give you a point that they say the ball cleared by 20 ft , and that point is a confirmed 467 ft , than come up with a final distance of 575 ft. Clearly they have padded the distances on some of the historical homeruns , so as far as who hit the most I'd say McGwire , and no I can't prove it , as for who hit the furthest ,multiple player's are in the running for that , but are for the longest verifiable homerun ever hit has to be Dave Kingman. There is no debate to be had about how far it may have gone or where it was found or,one lone eyewitness as to where it landed. We all can see for ourselves on youtube , a 530 foot drive with a hangtime of 7 seconds.
          One thing is for sure, no matter who hit the longest, Ruth, Foxx, Kingman, Bonds, Killebrew, McGwire or some I left off the list, can't be much further than the second, third...... longest. Even if adding some feet which should no be, I think some long bombs from the past were easier to come close in distance traveled because years ago we had some markers that were much longer than we have today. If Ruth or Foxx cleared a barrier marked off at 455 or 467 it can be assumed in the area of 470 to 480+.
          There were some very deep CF distances in the 1920s, Comiskey 455, Shibe 468, Tiger Stadium 467 and Yankee Stadium 487 feet, to my knowledge only one hit in the area of CF by Ruth and possible not to dead center. I do agree, some feet added to some of those long ago tape measure jobs. I often wonder how accurate Statcast is. Simple because todays homers, most of them are hit into seated sections of the park and Statcast has to calculate how far, where would the ball land if not obstructed in the bleacher section.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

            One thing is for sure, no matter who hit the longest, Ruth, Foxx, Kingman, Bonds, Killebrew, McGwire or some I left off the list, can't be much further than the second, third...... longest. Even if adding some feet which should no be, I think some long bombs from the past were easier to come close in distance traveled because years ago we had some markers that were much longer than we have today. If Ruth or Foxx cleared a barrier marked off at 455 or 467 it can be assumed in the area of 470 to 480+.
            There were some very deep CF distances in the 1920s, Comiskey 455, Shibe 468, Tiger Stadium 467 and Yankee Stadium 487 feet, to my knowledge only one hit in the area of CF by Ruth and possible not to dead center. I do agree, some feet added to some of those long ago tape measure jobs. I often wonder how accurate Statcast is. Simple because todays homers, most of them are hit into seated sections of the park and Statcast has to calculate how far, where would the ball land if not obstructed in the bleacher section.
            The big boppers from the past could hit a baseball as far a any player from resent time, but the stadium, not the field dimension, were smaller so when a player hit one in the street the question is were did it really land, the fan's in the stadium don't know ,and at that point the team's P.R people can tell the general public anything. As for Statcast they are not always on the money either, they take a initial reading at contact ,so if conditions change, such as the wind dies down while the ball is in flight , it will not be accounted for in their final calculation.
            Last edited by carsdaddy; 05-14-2021, 06:41 AM.

            Comment


            • Really happy to see this thread. I've been going through one of those baseball history deep-dives we all go through now and again. However, this is the first time I've done so in the Statcast era.

              This has got me wondering about all of the claims of HRs well past the 500 feet mark "back in the day " With only a few barely scraping by 500, and that by the utter monsters of today, it makes me question all of the claims from the past.

              It seems 500+ is exceedingly rare. The Mantle and Josh Gibson 550+ claims seem truly apocryphal. I wish they were real, but I think the dream is dead. Long? 500? Yes. 550, 565, 575, even 600? Oy.

              Thankfully video exists. Glenallen Hill's rooftop monster is truly special and Sky King's undeniable 515-525 shot is amazing.

              Lately I've been wasting silly amounts of time measuring things on Google Earth (my rec league softball and sandlot hrs

              Comment


              • Is there a word limit? My post got chopped.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                  Is there a word limit? My post got chopped.
                  It's something like 32,000 characters for Private Messages, but I don't think there's a limit for public posts. Either way, it would take an incredibly long post.

                  Not sure why your post got chopped. I always suggest writing our longer posts in a Notepad or something before copying and pasting into the Baseball-Fever box for publishing

                  Hope that helps.
                  Put it in the books.

                  Comment


                  • ‚Äč
                    Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post
                    Without going through my note's off the top of my head ,I remember four 500 footer's that Statcast came up with , Stanton , Mazara, Story and Dunn. As for who has the most ,that we can actually verify, I'd say the likely answer is Mark McGwire. A lot of the historically long homerun's from the 20's - 50's simply don't hold up under research. If you take the information that they provide for those homerun's you will often find that it is clearly contrary to the fact. Example's Mantle 1956 W/S at Ebbets field, the video is on youtube . A 400 foot homerun reported to be 530 ft , yes the ball was found 535 ft from the plate, if include the rolling. Or most often is the case with Ruth , they give you a point that they say the ball cleared by 20 ft , and that point is a confirmed 467 ft , than come up with a final distance of 575 ft. Clearly they have padded the distances on some of the historical homeruns , so as far as who hit the most I'd say McGwire , and no I can't prove it , as for who hit the furthest ,multiple player's are in the running for that , but are for the longest verifiable homerun ever hit has to be Dave Kingman. There is no debate to be had about how far it may have gone or where it was found or,one lone eyewitness as to where it landed. We all can see for ourselves on youtube , a 530 foot drive with a hangtime of 7 seconds.
                    Mazara's and Story's were definitely not 500 feet. The Mantle '56 World Series home run was about 404' - landing near the gas pumps at the station across the street. It then took a nice bounce toward the station garage which was no where near 535 feet from home plate. Ruth has the longest verifiable home run at 552' 8" in 1919 spring game on April 4. vs. Giants. He has others measured over 500 feet. There is very strong evidence that he hit one at least 560 feet that flew into Trumbull St. over the Navin field Center Field fence. He hit the longest home run that stayed inside Griffith stadium. It glanced off the retaining wall 3 rows from the top in center 477' from home plate, 43' above the playing field. 510 feet or so. Foxx, Mantle and DiMaggio hit homers very high in that section. Babe's easily the highest by about 10 rows and a bit farther to the right. A PR man was told to get estimates for McGwire's homers. Admitting to Bill Jenkinson, that he really didn't know how to do it. Most of McGwire's home runs were over estimated. Some are accurate but not as accurate as Hittracker would have made them. Mazara's home run landed about 406 feet from home plate in the upper deck in RF, and 60 feet above the field in the 15th row. A nice shot at about 470'. The announcer at the game thought a man near the top of the that deck got the ball but it bounced up there.
                    Last edited by elmer; 05-14-2021, 12:46 PM.

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X