Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressing Toward Better Stats Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This would be much easier if I could log in. How are you able to? Have to reach status perhaps lol.

    Anyway, so basically instead of multiplying road SA by .04 and adding that to the original, I need to multiply by 1.02.

    Not sure we even need to inclide PF now, given what you said.

    I have excel files for each leagues OPS+ and SAeff.

    I can make one for SA but guess I didn't figure it would be different. Why is it different?

    Comment


    • Here's a chart I made using leage SAeff data.

      All of the expected years behave as expected. The expansion years, the cushioned cork center in 1926, 1930, 1968, 1987 etc

      AL-NL-SAeffCHART.jpg
      Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM.

      Comment


      • So really just 2 steps to get there: take road SA times 1.02 to get expected total SA. Divide by the ACTUAL league SA for the years spanning his career. Technically it should be weighted by the players PAs, but you have to decide if you want to do that.
        I just want to point out that the league slugging averages from post#106 are the actual league numbers. Example: League SA during Ruth's career was .404 & during Williams' career the Al average was .398 whereas the park adjusted lg avg. was .409.

        Comment


        • Woohoo!!!

          The lockout is over!!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by layson27 View Post
            I just want to point out that the league slugging averages from post#106 are the actual league numbers. Example: League SA during Ruth's career was .404 & during Williams' career the Al average was .398 whereas the park adjusted lg avg. was .409.
            Not using the leagueSA number shown in the "More Stats" section, I have Ruth's leagues at .381 avg.

            I still don't know why there would be such a big difference in some years. Never got an answer.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
              Not using the leagueSA number shown in the "More Stats" section, I have Ruth's leagues at .381 avg.
              BBRef lists Ruth's park adjusted league slugging average (lgSLG) for his career at .401. I think .404 is right for the raw SA.

              Comment


              • I used this http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hislug3.shtml to enter into excel.

                Brett said not to use the LGslg listed under the "more stats" at bbref.

                Just as an example, 1920 shows .407 for that one year under Ruth's "more stats" page. But if you actually click on AL, it shows the league slugged .387.

                Comment


                • On a side, note I was just looking through some of these guys' actual SA versus their "expected" overall SA. If the difference from expected to actual goes down, they are in red. And obviously if their actual was higher it's in blue.

                  Aside from the platoon boost (which I think righties should get something at least), there has to be a way to account for this, beyond just simple park factors.

                  Sorted by EXPECTED OVERALL, look at Piazza and Foxx. They're both gonna have leagues with a good SA; they are about dead even, except heading in the opposite direction; like a 75 point gap!

                  Or check Mathews sandwiched between Greenberg and Mize. Then look over to how that's impacting his SAeff.

                  DIFFbetweenEXPandACTUAL.jpg
                  Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM.

                  Comment


                  • I double checked Mantle's & DiMaggio's league slugging averages and found those previous slugging numbers I posted were wrong! .377 for Mantle & .391 for DiMaggio are the right numbers.
                    Glad we got that figured out, lol.

                    I was thinking that subtracting player slugging % vs. league is another way to go. And then comparing H/A slugging differences.

                    Example: Lou Gehrig
                    Home Slugging difference vs. league= .620-.403= .217
                    Road Slugging difference vs. league= .644-.403= .241

                    Difference between H/A slugging advantage vs. league= +.24
                    Or you could just use the difference between road slugging% vs. league= +.241

                    There's just so many options in comparing hitters, this is another option.
                    Last edited by layson27; 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by layson27 View Post
                      I double checked Mantle's & DiMaggio's league slugging averages and found those previous slugging numbers I posted were wrong! .377 for Mantle & .391 for DiMaggio are the right numbers.
                      Glad we got that figured out, lol.
                      All good my brotha!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by layson27 View Post
                        I double checked Mantle's & DiMaggio's league slugging averages and found those previous slugging numbers I posted were wrong! .377 for Mantle & .391 for DiMaggio are the right numbers.
                        Glad we got that figured out, lol.

                        I was thinking that subtracting player slugging % vs. league is another way to go. And then comparing H/A slugging differences.

                        Example: Lou Gehrig
                        Home Slugging difference vs. league= .620-.403= .217
                        Road Slugging difference vs. league= .644-.403= .241

                        Difference between H/A slugging advantage vs. league= +.24
                        Or you could just use the difference between road slugging% vs. league= +.241

                        There's just so many options in comparing hitters, this is another option.
                        Thank you for the input Layson. That's interesting.

                        I just think there HAS to be another step, other than park factors. I mean, some of these guys benefitted WAY BEYOND the expected norm, and frankly, it shows up huge in SAeff.

                        Perhaps that's exactly what's already been accounted for, and I need someone to just come head-slap me.

                        Anyway, here's an update to the chart. Not taking it from excel until I figure out what's going on. (sorted by ADJ REL SA)

                        Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                          Thank you for the input Layson. That's interesting.

                          I just think there HAS to be another step, other than park factors. I mean, some of these guys benefitted WAY BEYOND the expected norm, and frankly, it shows up huge in SAeff.

                          Perhaps that's exactly what's already been accounted for, and I need someone to just come head-slap me.

                          Anyway, here's an update to the chart. Not taking it from excel until I figure out what's going on. (sorted by ADJ REL SA)
                          Very interesting chart, thanks for putting in the hard work and sharing it.
                          Definitely reinforces the Bill James suggestion of Clipper being the most screwed over by home park great.
                          And I didn't think of Foxx, Kiner, and Frank Thomas as guys who were getting huge home park boosts.
                          I don't see him on there, but I'm sure that Banks had a big Wrigley advantage.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                            Very interesting chart, thanks for putting in the hard work and sharing it.
                            Definitely reinforces the Bill James suggestion of Clipper being the most screwed over by home park great.
                            And I didn't think of Foxx, Kiner, and Frank Thomas as guys who were getting huge home park boosts.
                            I don't see him on there, but I'm sure that Banks had a big Wrigley advantage.
                            Thanks. Yeah Banks' expected overall is .471 and his actual is .500

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                              Very interesting chart, thanks for putting in the hard work and sharing it.
                              Definitely reinforces the Bill James suggestion of Clipper being the most screwed over by home park great.
                              And I didn't think of Foxx, Kiner, and Frank Thomas as guys who were getting huge home park boosts.
                              I don't see him on there, but I'm sure that Banks had a big Wrigley advantage.
                              Any longtime Cub got a huge boost, but if I say that people just think it comes from a deep-seated hatred for anything Cub. That is partially true, I won't lie. However, it is also true that Cubs like Ernie Banks and Billy Williams, any of them actually, had pretty big home/road splits. It is kind of funny, because when I have brought it up, it doesn't go very far. Bring up home/road splits when it concerns any Red Sox players, and pages get reeled off about how much of a boost they enjoyed. Let's nail down these Cubbies too! Get 'em!
                              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

                              Comment


                              • Lol Herrsky ur funny

                                They say dont lead the numbers anywhere. Let them lead you.

                                When talking park factors, they tend to take a distinct, blazing, warp speed-like path to a few cities.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X