Multi-Sport Minor Leaguers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Sport Minor Leaguers

Anyone know of minor leaguers who played other professional sports?

For example:
    NFLers Kyle Rote, John Elway, Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, Yale Lary, Tom Brookshier, Jay Schroeder, Quicny Carter, Ricky Williams, Chris Weinke, Drew Henson, Cedric Benson, Don Hutson, Charlie Trippi and Ken Strong.

NBAers include: Michael Jordan, Vic Hanson, Mark Hendrickson, Chris Crawford and Eddie Ehlers.

Randy 'Macho Man' Savage (Randy Poffo) played minor league ball as did actor Kurt Russell, Mario Cuomo (baseball has had other governors as well). President Harding owned minor league teams. President Eisenhower supposed play minor league ball under an assumed name.

Others box, golf, bowl, drag race, rodeo, play soccer, hockey, billards, whatever???

Dan Marino was in the minor leagues. I thought Tom Glavine was drafted in hockey. There's Dave Winfield with his college sports. Zane Grey, Eliot Asinof, Charley Pride and Conway Twitty played in the minors.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Dan Marino was drafted by the KC Royals in 1979 but I'm not so sure he actually played pro baseball. Haven't heard about Conway Twitty before.

Comment

I think Tom Glavine was drafted by the LA Kings. I'll try to dig up something on the others.
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
          Anyone know of minor leaguers who played other

NBAers include: Michael Jordan, Vic Hanson, Mark Hendrickson, Chris Crawford and Eddie Ehlers.
          Bill Sharman played several years in the minors, making it as far as AAA.

Comment

Twitty never played in the minors - supposedly the Phillies offered him a contract when he graduated high school but he was drafted instead.

Sharman actually made it to a major league bench but he was tossed one game with the entire bench for rowdiness. He may be the only player thrown out of a major league game without ever appearing in one.

Tom Glavine was drafted in the fourth round by the NHL LA Kings in 1984.

Comment

In the 18th round of the 1995 draft, the Montreal Expos drafted a high-school catcher called Tom Brady. Never played a game in pro ball, but I hear he had a heck of a arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamingboy
                In the 18th round of the 1995 draft, the Montreal Expos drafted a high-school catcher called Tom Brady. Never played a game in pro ball.
                You mean, pro baseball?
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  You mean, pro baseball?
                  Yeah. That's what I meant.

Comment

Heard Tom Candiotti joined the pro bowler's tour after retiring from baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
                      Heard Tom Candiotti joined the pro bowler's tour after retiring from baseball.
                      I wonder if he rolls a knuckler

Comment

Hockey Hall of Famers Babe Dye and Doug Harvey played(with some success) minor league baseball.
                        uk::

Comment

Falcon and Packer Noel Jenke reached Triple A with the Red Sox.

Comment

Found a good listing of baseball men who played football, basketball and/or hockey.

http://www.geocities.com/bifo19/

Comment

Danny Ainge was in the minor league for a while.
                              Frank's Field of Dreams
                              "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X