Minor League History/Stats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor League History/Stats?

Wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive encyclopedia of the minor leagues?

Something that would have annual standings, leaders, team rosters, etc. like the old "Big Mac" or TB for the major leagues?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Read all about it!

The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, edited by Lloyd Johnson and Miles Wolff is about the most complete I've seen. The first edition came out in '93, second in '97, but I don't know if a third edition is out yet. Bill James publishes STATS Minor League Handbook, on an annual basis. The only real problem with either of these is they are short on history and individual players, primarily because over a quarter of a million players have been on the diamonds of some two hundred different teams over the last hundred and ten years.

Each league publishes a record book that is more complete on the player bios and league histories, but they vary widely in their scope. The now defunct American Association and the Pacific Coast League had the best record keeping, and the Caribbean leagues are getting a lot better. The Negro Leagues history and stats are still being compiled; often one must sift through the local African-American newspapers' archives from Kansas City, Chicago, New York, etc. to get a box score, league standings, individual stats for any given week in the past.

Hope this helps a little, Chancellor
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

according to Lloyd Johnston edition 3 is out on May 1

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_reilly
        according to Lloyd Johnston edition 3 is out on May 1
        is it expanded in any way or just made up-to-date

Comment

was told it has expanded

Comment

You should check out Marshall Wright's books my McFarland. He/they have put out statistical histories of the International League, American Association, Texas League and Association.

There is not text other than a small recap of the season, and the books are done in the fashion of the Neft-Coehn encyclopedias of baseball. Wright gathered his information from the old Spalding and Reach Baseball Guides.

This information in this format is an incredible sourch for reseachers.

Carlos Bauer has done several similar books on the statistical history of the PCL.

Comment

Originally posted by trosmok
              The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, edited by Lloyd Johnson and Miles Wolff is about the most complete I've seen. The first edition came out in '93, second in '97, but I don't know if a third edition is out yet. Bill James publishes STATS Minor League Handbook, on an annual basis. The only real problem with either of these is they are short on history and individual players, primarily because over a quarter of a million players have been on the diamonds of some two hundred different teams over the last hundred and ten years.

Each league publishes a record book that is more complete on the player bios and league histories, but they vary widely in their scope. The now defunct American Association and the Pacific Coast League had the best record keeping, and the Caribbean leagues are getting a lot better. The Negro Leagues history and stats are still being compiled; often one must sift through the local African-American newspapers' archives from Kansas City, Chicago, New York, etc. to get a box score, league standings, individual stats for any given week in the past.

Hope this helps a little, Chancellor
              I would be surprised if there have been only 200 minor league teams over the past one hundred and ten years. In some years, there were over 30 minor leagues alone. There are quite a few defunct minor leagues which had many teams over the years. The total could even be as high as 1,000 teams.
              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK
                I would be surprised if there have been only 200 minor league teams over the past one hundred and ten years. In some years, there were over 30 minor leagues alone. There are quite a few defunct minor leagues which had many teams over the years. The total could even be as high as 1,000 teams.
                Over at Baseball-Reference.com's Bullpen wiki, we're up to 1,302 entries on minor league teams and most of the 3,074 "wanted pages" are also for minor league teams. I'm guessing there are at least 3,500 teams.

Comment

http://sports-wired.com has minor league stats dating only back to 2002 but comprehensive since then for all teams.
                  http://capitalfrontiers.com

Comment

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/ or
                    http://www.milb.com/
                    might help?
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

thebaseballcube.com is the same site as sports-wired.com

Milb has good current stuff.
                      http://capitalfrontiers.com

Comment

check out "minor leagues before 1910" here at baseball fever. i have found a list of leagues that either played or planned to played. cant find any one to let me know if these leagues played

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X