Streamlining the Minor Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streamlining the Minor Leagues

what does everyone think of the plan to streamline the lower levels of the minors? I like it, because it will make it easier to keep track of a guy's progression through the system. It also reduces the "canon fodder" of guys there just for the sake of having a warm body.

I understand the move from a financial standpoint, lots of money spent on short season and rookie leagues with very little return in eventual MLB playing talent. Were I an MLB owner, I'd probably be in favor of doing it myself. But.... I am not one and from a fan and "building the game" standpoint, I think it sends a horrible message to the fans in the affected communities and to all fans in general throughout the nation. I think when they act on this intent in 2021 it will blow up in their faces with tons of legal action(s), very negative Congressional and Federal attention & response and worst of all maybe, tons of negative publicity the game doesn't need. I think they will wish they had left well enough alone, and should instead quietly buy up the clubs slowly until they are gone. I doubt this will go well for MLB no matter what road they take to try and accomplish this.

Comment

Are they ever going to rename the leagues something other than AAA East and West, AA South or whatever they’re calling them. It looks and sounds terrible. Why not just call them the International League, A.A., etc.? I agree that this is bad for the sport. I can’t imagine the minor league clubs were that much of a financial burden.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

The minors have always been anything but a financial burden, quite the opposite. The AAA organizations are always clawing for the best players possible; nothing puts fannies in the seats like a winning club. Having worked and attended well over a thousand games I can personally attest nearly every player reaching that level has every bit as much talent and perseverance as MLB players. What they lack is more often the luck and timing of call-ups (injuries, expanded rosters, trades) and the untested consistency to excel in the show. MLB owners, and their pliable puppet commissioners continue to use MiLB as their plantations, paying professional ballplayers sharecroppers wages, while supporting the minor league team owners with pennies for every million they extract for the "privilege" of affiliation. The former American Association was absorbed by the International League, and misnamed Pacific Coast League so instead of three AAA leagues there were two for a decade or two. Now, there seems to be the West with 10 or so teams, and the East with around 20. Still haven't figured it out, but it belies the efforts to squeeze every dollar from the minor leagues players, owners, localities, and fans until the greed of MLB owners club runs every aspect of the minors, including outright ownership and control. Kinda sorta sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by trosmok back View Post
          The minors have always been anything but a financial burden, quite the opposite. The AAA organizations are always clawing for the best players possible; nothing puts fannies in the seats like a winning club. Having worked and attended well over a thousand games I can personally attest nearly every player reaching that level has every bit as much talent and perseverance as MLB players. What they lack is more often the luck and timing of call-ups (injuries, expanded rosters, trades) and the untested consistency to excel in the show. MLB owners, and their pliable puppet commissioners continue to use MiLB as their plantations, paying professional ballplayers sharecroppers wages, while supporting the minor league team owners with pennies for every million they extract for the "privilege" of affiliation. The former American Association was absorbed by the International League, and misnamed Pacific Coast League so instead of three AAA leagues there were two for a decade or two. Now, there seems to be the West with 10 or so teams, and the East with around 20. Still haven't figured it out, but it belies the efforts to squeeze every dollar from the minor leagues players, owners, localities, and fans until the greed of MLB owners club runs every aspect of the minors, including outright ownership and control. Kinda sorta sucks.
          Glad someone with knowledge of the situation confirmed my suspicions.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Only positive this season, the Iowa Cubs will be in town next week after an inexcusable absence due to the vagaries of exactly what you described, for 23 years I believe. This town has long been Reds country, with Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Pirates, Cardinals fans in abundance due to proximity, Dodgers, Braves, Brewers followers from TV exposure, and the usual Yankees and Red Sox loyalists here for ? Likely subject for a much different thread.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X