Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Pelicans in 50s

Hello Baseball Fever Community,

My late grandfather, Jimmy “Rip” Fanning, grew up playing baseball and told some stories of playing with the farm teams of the White Sox and the Pirates. He was born in 1935 so we believe that would have him playing mid to late 50s. We believe he played for the New Orleans Pelicans as he mention Roy Face and Gene Freese, but haven’t been able to find any records of him with the Pelicans or several other AAA or AA teams. My hope is that someone sees this that may know or stumbles across something that can be shared to help preserve his baseball memories.

Thanks, Ben

Originally posted by bfanning View Post
    Hello Baseball Fever Community,

My late grandfather, Jimmy “Rip” Fanning, grew up playing baseball and told some stories of playing with the farm teams of the White Sox and the Pirates. He was born in 1935 so we believe that would have him playing mid to late 50s. We believe he played for the New Orleans Pelicans as he mention Roy Face and Gene Freese, but haven’t been able to find any records of him with the Pelicans or several other AAA or AA teams. My hope is that someone sees this that may know or stumbles across something that can be shared to help preserve his baseball memories.

Thanks, Ben
    Hi, I don't have any specific info about your grandfather. Since he was born in 1935, about 1953 probably is the earliest he would have been in the Minors. Face played for New Orleans in 1954, and I believe Freese did also. Your grandfather would have been 19 in 1954, which is extremely young to be playing in the high Minors. Usually only a few super-elite prospects played at such a level at that age. Please understand I'm not implying that he didn't, but it would have been an unusual occurrence. Unfortunately I have no access to any old New Orleans rosters. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X