Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rochester Red Wings take over Batavia Muckdogs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rochester Red Wings take over Batavia Muckdogs

    Muckdogs shelter under Red Wings

    I don't know if this has happened with other teams, but it seems like a godsend for the Muckdogs. That team looked like it was in a lot of trouble, and with there attendance where it was, I was speculating that the team might move. The Red Wings, by contrast, are one of the most successful minor league teams in the country.

    I really hope to see the Muckdogs improve financially this season, although, since it appears they aren't playing any home games against the Staten Island Yankees or Brooklyn Cyclones, that might dampen their chances. Those games are always really popular for Yankees and Mets fans in western NY.
    sigpic
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

    My Wantlist/Tradelist

    Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

  • #2
    Any word if the Muck Dogs will become a Twins affiliate like the Red Wings?
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
      Any word if the Muck Dogs will become a Twins affiliate like the Red Wings?
      The article says,
      The Muckdogs have been in existence since 1939 and are the short-season affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. One year remains on that working agreement, but anti-tampering rules prevented both sides from saying whether they would like Batavia to hook up with the Minnesota Twins, the Red Wings' parent club.

      It is extremely doubtful that the Twins would abandon their Single-A club in Elizabethton, Tenn. The two cities have had a working agreement since 1974 and recently signed a four-year extension through 2011.
      However, Elizabethton (which is an Appy League "Rookie" level team, not an A) doesn't really have anything to do with it. I'm sure the Twins will remain there, but they could add a NY-Penn team too, if they wanted to. The Astros, Cardinals, Mets, Orioles and Rays are all currently fielding teams in both these leagues.

      If this partnership seems to work for all concerned, it would be cool from a fan perspective if they could both be in the same farm system, and it would surely help any efforts by the combined management to cross-market the teams. Rochester seems pretty happy with the Twins system, so the question will be, does Twins management want a Short-Season-A team?

      Originally posted by hudsonharden View Post
      I really hope to see the Muckdogs improve financially this season, although, since it appears they aren't playing any home games against the Staten Island Yankees or Brooklyn Cyclones, that might dampen their chances. Those games are always really popular for Yankees and Mets fans in western NY.
      I like a lot of things about the NY-Penn, just as I like a lot of things about the Sally, but the scheduling in both of them is really strange. They're neither balanced schedules nor divisionally-weighted, they're just mixed-up. Batavia, as you say, has to play at both Brooklyn and Staten Island, but neither of those teams has to play at Batavia.
      Last edited by Pere; 03-15-2008, 09:39 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by spark240 View Post
        I like a lot of things about the NY-Penn, just as I like a lot of things about the Sally, but the scheduling in both of them is really strange. They're neither balanced schedules nor divisionally-weighted, they're just mixed-up. Batavia, as you say, has to play at both Brooklyn and Staten Island, but neither of those teams has to play at Batavia.
        I think Batavia does play teams like Tri-City, Mahoning Valley, Auburn, and Jamestown more than other teams because those teams are close by. They only play one series against Staten Island, Vermont, and Brooklyn. Last year, Both Staten Island and Brooklyn played in Batavia, and those games sold very well. This year, Batavia plays those games away. Hopefully next year, Batavia will play either one or both of those teams at home.
        sigpic
        Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

        My Wantlist/Tradelist

        Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

        Comment

        Ad Widget

        Collapse
        Working...
        X