Mountain State League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain State League

Anyone out there have any information on West Virginia's old Mountain State League that played in the laste 1940's?

Mountain State League

I remember it well, but your dates are a little off.The league started in 1937 and operated through 1941. There were six teams - Beckley, Huntington, Logan, Williamson, Bluefield and Welch. I lived in Welch and saw a lot of games.

The most notable alumni was Stan Musial, who started as a pitcher for Williamson in his first year in baseball.

I suppose there could have been a subsequent Mountain State League in the forties but I lived in the state until 1950 and don't remember any thing about it.

Comment

Mountain States League

There was a Mountain States League that played from the late 40's into the early 50's. It had the following teams:

Harlan Smokies
      Lexington Colts
      Kingsport Cherokees
      Big Stone Gap Rebles
      Maryville-Alcoa Twins
      Hazard Bombers
      Morristown Twins
      Middlesboro Athletics
      Morristown Red Sox
      Oak Ridge Pioneers
      Norton Braves
      Newport Canners
      Jenkins Cavaliers
      Pennington Gap Miners
      Oak Ridge Bombers

From what I can see, this was more of a Tennessee & Kentucky based league (but my geography of that area is not up to snuff).
      "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again."

Comment

Originally posted by benwhancock
        I remember it well, but your dates are a little off.The league started in 1937 and operated through 1941. There were six teams - Beckley, Huntington, Logan, Williamson, Bluefield and Welch. I lived in Welch and saw a lot of games.

The most notable alumni was Stan Musial, who started as a pitcher for Williamson in his first year in baseball.

I suppose there could have been a subsequent Mountain State League in the forties but I lived in the state until 1950 and don't remember any thing about it.
        We're putting together a gallery of every baseball stadium in the world. (10,000 photos online so far) As far as I know none of the old Mountain States League ballparks are standing. If i'm wrong let me know.

If anyone out there has photographs of the ballpark or news about a ballpark still standing from that era, could you please contact me at [email protected].

thanks
        Eric
        www.digitalballparks.com
        ------------
        Eric
        President
        www.digitalballparks.com
        An online baseball stadium museum featuring almost 10k photos of ballparks from around the world.

Comment

1941 Final Standings
          Logan 80 48 .625
          Williamson 77 50 .606
          Bluefield 64 61 .512
          Welch 64 62 .506
          Ashland 53 76 .411
          Huntington 43 84 .339

IAW Charleston Gazette Sept. 2, 1941

Comment

Mountain States League

The League Champions as I have are:
            1937 Beckley
            1938 Logan
            1939 Williamson
            1940 Williamson
            1941 Logan
            1942 Huntington
            1943-47 did not operate
            1948 Morristown
            1949 Harlan
            1950 Harlan
            1951 Hazard
            1952 Hazard

(source 1953 Sporting News Baseball Guide)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X