Are minor leaguers paid a legal wage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are minor leaguers paid a legal wage?

This New Yorker article caught my attention. I didn't realize that MLB is being sued by a group of minor league players. Their attorney is a former minor leaguer himself.

Are Minor Leaguers Paid Legal Wages?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

What level is this? Rookie, low A, what? How do they figure the 50-70 hour weeks? Just asking. . .
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
      What level is this? Rookie, low A, what? How do they figure the 50-70 hour weeks? Just asking. . .
      5-6 games a week plus warm up, BP and maybe even travel time is probably easily 50 hours+
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
        5-6 games a week plus warm up, BP and maybe even travel time is probably easily 50 hours+
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          Counting travel time too, wow. The author in that article said something about depending on how we do the math -- but then never mentions how he did the math to come up with his figures. Nor does he say where these minor leaguers are playing (which level) or anything else really. Besides that, I thought they were all salaried employees? I have had careers where I was paid a salary and routinely worked 70-80 hour weeks, and in the Army overseas more than that. There isn't overtime when you are off the hourly clock. I am not saying these kids don't need a raise, I would just like to see more of the information the writer used to come up with this story.
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

This is from 5 years ago...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQX_UHupcg

Comment

This is one of those situations where being a legal monopoly comes in handy. On one hand the argument will be they are being paid to play a game and they don't have to play baseball, but on the other it is a career and they don't have too many options even though it is near the top of their profession.

Also, there is the idea that many of these young men are chasing a dream, and in the process really handcuffing their family's growth (if they have one).

My cousin married a minor leaguer who is now on the wrong side of 27 and is now bumping around the lower international leagues (Korea, Venezuela, Italy I believe) still chasing that MLB dream. In the mean time he has a baby and a wife who have not had a stable life yet.
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                It's not uncommon for players to practice for a couple of hours during the day when they have night games. When I bike by the nearby minor league park there were always players on the field in the afternoon during homestands. On the road is no different.

My son played in a college summer league that emulated how the minors works. He said no way, no how did he have any interest in being a marginal, roster filler prospect.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X