Minor league feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor league feats

Does anyone know any great Minor league Feats to post here.

I remember hearing about Dick Stuart on the 1956 Class A Lincoln (NE) Chiefs. Stuart hit 66 HRs in 143 games. He is Nebraska baseball legend.

Any more
    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

http://neworleans.zephyrs.milb.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

On this article is an index to a column called "Cracked Bats" that used to appear on MiLB.com that has many feats such as Joe Bauman's 72 HR season for the Roswell Rockets in the mid 50's. Hope this gives you a nice start seeking out amazing minor league statistical feats. Gene Rye (3 HR in one inning) is on the list and many others as well.

Comment

An interesting couple of things about Stuarts 66 HR season. He was said to have always signed autographs after that year as "Dick "66" Stuart". Another thing I recall is that he was quoted as saying he would have been much better off to have hit about 40 HR that season because 66 was such a huge number that the Pirates brass didn't know how to process it and so they didn't progress him as quickly as they might have or should have. They apparently felt like it was a quirk of competition like weak pitching or ballpark altitude (road games) or something. IOW, a fluke and nothing more. I cant remember the source of that unfortunately but I do recall reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
        An interesting couple of things about Stuarts 66 HR season. He was said to have always signed autographs after that year as "Dick "66" Stuart". Another thing I recall is that he was quoted as saying he would have been much better off to have hit about 40 HR that season because 66 was such a huge number that the Pirates brass didn't know how to process it and so they didn't progress him as quickly as they might have or should have. They apparently felt like it was a quirk of competition like weak pitching or ballpark altitude (road games) or something. IOW, a fluke and nothing more. I cant remember the source of that unfortunately but I do recall reading it.
        I'm pretty sure Bouton talks about that in Ball Four.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X