Josh Gibson vs Sadaharu Oh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TerryB View Post
    I just read in "Outsider Baseball" about the Clark Griffith, owner of the Senators, bringing Josh Gibson and Buck Leonard into his office in 1943. He told them that he believed they were great players and that he would love to have them on his team if the Major Leagues ever integrated. He also explained that the Negro Leagues would go under if Major League baseball integrated so a lot of players would lose their jobs. He basically said that they deserved a chance to play, but that they should not get their hopes up. Griffith was making 160,000 renting his stadium out to Negro League teams and would lose that money if the Negro Leagues folded. A lot of Negro League team owners were not excited about the idea of integration for the same sort of (financial) reasons.

People at SABR are working toward the goal of developing a data base of stats for those leagues and teams outside of Major League baseball and a way to compare the level of play and equalized stats for comparisons between them all. The most important teams and leagues in these outside groups are the various Negro or Blackball teams. This will go a long way toward answering questions like the one that this thread is based on with a better way to compare players such as Josh Gibson and Sadaharu Oh.
    This is really neat historical stuff, TerryB! Can yo check the bibliography of the book to see what was the primary source of this info? If it's a newspaper I'll try to track it down. I'll check on my own as well.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      This is really neat historical stuff, TerryB! Can yo check the bibliography of the book to see what was the primary source of this info? If it's a newspaper I'll try to track it down. I'll check on my own as well.
      Simkus said that he read 300 books in preparation for writing his book, but I believe the main source for this particular story is from "Beyond the Shadows of the Senators: The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays and the Integration of Baseball" by Brad Snyder.

Comment

As far as which player's homerun totals are legitimate there is no comparison. Oh did in fact hit all of those homeruns while Gibson never actually came close to 900 according to all the best resources. Its doubtful that Gibson actually hit more than 700 and that includes non league games against a fair share of non-professional competition.

Comment

I can't believe I started this thread 16-1/2 years ago. My baseball history views have evolved quite a bit since then.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Forget just Gibson, how does Oh compare to other Negro League greats such as Lloyd, Charleston, Rogan, Stearnes, etc.?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X