Andy Cooper
    Ray Dandridge
    Leon Day
    Bill Foster
    Judy Johnson
    Hilton Smith
    Mule Suttles
    Ben Taylor
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Very surprised by Taylor and Dandridge particularly. Mule Suttles slide continues.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        Very surprised by Taylor and Dandridge particularly. Mule Suttles slide continues.
        I would encourage you and others to checkout this link, and download the Excel file...
        https://homemlb.wordpress.com/home-honorees/

The guys prefaced that they had the right to make updates as new information is unveiled, and if they had to choose, they went with offense players, something they were more confident in projecting. Hurley McNair was the final pick, but his DATA+ isn't as much as most, so he could slide out with more data available in the future.

Digging into the details, Ben Taylor and Ray Dandridge are pretty close to the line, but with them having high DATA+ scores, they aren't likely to ascend much higher...unless they are given more defensive credit. Taylor and Dandridge are at ~+7 wins, if you think that is underrating things, they could easily replace one of the last few inductees. Suttles is just below them, but with less data, she has a chance to bounce in too.

He's a Cuban centric candidate, but Alejandro Oms showing is disappointing, though very light still on data.
        Bus Clarkson, if you are a war credit guy, is that lower worthy tier.

Pitcher profiles are more volatile, so not surprised to see the variance here.
        Don Newcombe's case remains interesting, if you like him a bit more than where they have him, he's a viable candidate, like I do
        Cool Papa Bell, Ray Brown, Willard Brown, Andy Cooper, Leon Day, Bill Foster, Judy Johnson, and Hilton Smith look like mistakes at this juncture.

Last edited by Jar of Flies; 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM.
        Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
        http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

I would encourage you and others to checkout this link, and download the Excel file...
          https://homemlb.wordpress.com/home-honorees/

The guys prefaced that they had the right to make updates as new information is unveiled, and if they had to choose, they went with offense players, something they were more confident in projecting. Hurley McNair was the final pick, but his DATA+ isn't as much as most, so he could slide out with more data available in the future.

Digging into the details, Ben Taylor and Ray Dandridge are pretty close to the line, but with them having high DATA+ scores, they aren't likely to ascend much higher...unless they are given more defensive credit. Taylor and Dandridge are at ~+7 wins, if you think that is underrating things, they could easily replace one of the last few inductees. Suttles is just below them, but with less data, she has a chance to bounce in too.

He's a Cuban centric candidate, but Alejandro Oms showing is disappointing, though very light still on data.
          Bus Clarkson, if you are a war credit guy, is that lower worthy tier.

Pitcher profiles are more volatile, so not surprised to see the variance here.
          Don Newcombe's case remains interesting, if you like him a bit more than where they have him, he's a viable candidate, like I do
          Cool Papa Bell, Ray Brown, Willard Brown, Andy Cooper, Leon Day, Bill Foster, Judy Johnson, and Hilton Smith look like mistakes at this juncture.
          Thanks JoF, I'm also surprised Sam Jethroe didn't get much with his MLB play in his late 30's. N.L. RoY at like 36.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

They posted a list of also rans today.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

The four I've got to look at more at Marvin Williams, Webster McDonald, Roosevelt Davis and Hurley McNair. I'd heard of all four before this, but had only really been intrigued by McNair. I hadn't seen convncing cases for the others before this.
              Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
              Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
              A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Thanks JoF, I'm also surprised Sam Jethroe didn't get much with his MLB play in his late 30's. N.L. RoY at like 36.
                ROY at 33, he did net 52 WAR in the notes, excellent career, just not quite HOF level.
                Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Head on over there if you want to see who they're electing for Negro League manager and/or executives. More to come.

Comment

I'm shocked they chose Miller Huggins as a manager before John McGraw or maybe I missed something.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X