Forgotten Pre-Negro League Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten Pre-Negro League Player

I know Walter Ball was in the first round of possible canidates for the HOF, but was left off the top 80 to be concidered for election. Water played for about 18 years in the pre Negro Leagues, but he also played on white teams as the only black player. You think Jackie Robinson had it bad..............what about Walter. He played on a team from St Cloud Minn in 1902 and the team won the championship with the help of Balls arm..............

Walter Ball played 16 years from 1903 - 1921. He had a career record of 40-51 while pitching 805 innings with a 2.76 ERA. He had 335 strike outs and 238 walks. In 1905, he pitched for the Cuban X-Giants against the Brooklyn Superbas winning a complete game allowing 2 runs and 0 earned runs. In 1909, while pitching for the Leland Giants, he lost a game to the Chicago Cubs giving up 4 runs and 1 earned run.

In 1902, what league did St. Cloud, Minn win a championship in? I cannot find any record of Walter Ball pitching for any minor league teams. I would like to add his data to his records.

Comment

If you were so inclined I'm sure someone in town has old newspaper archives. They could also possibly point you in the direction of an official or unofficial town historian. Send the mayor or council president or something an email. Possibly even the their local library.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X