No announcement yet.

1891 New York Gorhams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added the Gorhams statistics for the 54 games that I was able to find their box scores. Team batting average was .308 and they scored 537 runs in 54 games, or close to 10 runs per game. Their three pitchers gave up around 4 runs per game, and had an ERA of 1.25.

George Williams was one of the most underrated black stars of the 19th Century. In the 1889 Middle States league he batted .352. In the 1890 Eastern Interstate League he batted .386. In 1891 with the Gorhams he hits .402. While the 1891 opponents weren't pros, they were at least semi pro and college level.

William Selden was another underrated black star of the 19th Century. He had a 14-2 record for the 1891 Gorhams and that didn't include any games he pitched in the 24 games that I can't find a box score for. He had 4 shutouts and an ERA of 0.72.

‚Äč
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

The latest update brings games played up to 59 that I have found box scores for. Total record from 5/28/91 to 10/11/91 was 69-8-1.

Pitching records: William Malone 19-2, 197 IP, 1.12 ERA; William Selden 17-2, 179 IP, 0.80 ERA; George Stovey 16-2, 154 IP, 1.81 ERA. Each pitcher probably won at least 20 games. Selden hurled his five shutouts during the 39-game winning streak.

Batting Records: George Williams .391, Clarence Williams .343, Art Thomas .342, Sol White .333, Oscar Jackson .309, Frank Grant .289, Andrew Jackson .280, George Stovey .272, William Selden .264, and William Malone .250.

Sol White left the team with four games left to play. If we subtract the 2-2 record in October then that reduces the won-loss record to 67-6-1. Sol doesn't seem to count two losses to the Cuban Giants for some reason, but I have. That reduces his figure to 67-4-1 and not far off from what he wrote in his guide back in 1907.

This research is still a work in progress so things are bound to change. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

I will contact three state libraries in hopes of finding new box scores and writeups for several games.

After winning their 35th game in a row with President Benjamin Harrison in attendance, Manager S. K. Govern chartered a special train to take the Gorhams from Cape May to Philadelphia. They would play the Allertons on August 16th and extend their winning streak to 36 straight games, all of them on the road. It's interesting that I first mentioned President Harrison way back on July 24, 2010 over 11 years ago!

One of the shortstops for the Allertons in 1891 was Wee Willie Keeler!

I have found three of the four losses that Sol White mentioned:

August 20th, vs University of Vermont, 2-3...
        August 21st, vs Glens Falls, 8-9...the Gorhams tried to rally from being 6 runs down but ran out of at bats
        September 9th, vs New Brunswick, 1-4

They are not in the order that Sol White thought. I haven't found the Little Gorhams defeat yet.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X