X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
    That's awesome!!! Thank you two very much for the information. No wonder I couldn't locate anything, I had the wrong spelling of his last name to begin with.
    Glad to be of service.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    Yeah, if I were a dealer I would have shied away from them. I have no interest in ever selling them, though. Therefore, I wasn't too concerned about the "value" so to speak. To me they just have much more of an intrinsic value. I already had Irvin and Manning's signatures, but desperately wanted Day. I also wanted Wright and Crutchfield very badly. To get a group of the seven of those guys together was just too much for me pass up. I'm sure that I overpaid in terms of book value, but I definitely have no buyer's remorse in the least bit. For a guy that's broke most of the time (Plan on eating a generic brand box of mac & cheese for dinner in a few minutes... I so wish I were joking) I just figured that this was a rare treat to splurge on.

Leave a comment:

• metrotheme
    replied
    I've considered taking a shot at some of those cachets when they come up for auction, but I do not like the fact that their signatures are so close that you really can't use them for a "cut". Two HOF'ers on that (Irvin and Day) and a bunch of other great players including Trouppe who got his shot at the majors at age 39. Wright was an earlier star, as was Crutchfield. Manning taught Carl Erskine his curveball while in Cuba.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    That's awesome!!! Thank you two very much for the information. No wonder I couldn't locate anything, I had the wrong spelling of his last name to begin with.

As for what I got the autographs on, I purchased a signed cachet from Ebay. It has on it: Monte Irvin, Leon Day, Jimmie Crutchfield, Clyde McNeal, Quincy T. Trouppe, Wild Bill Wright, and Max Manning.

Here's a scan of it:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• metrotheme
    replied
    Clyde McNeal was a SS for the Chicago American Giants from 1945-1950 (I believe). He died in the early 1990's at a relatively young age (in his 60's). He played for a few seasons in the Dodgers organization as a middle infielder, briefly reaching AAA. Of course he picked maybe the worst organization to be a middle infielder as the Dodgers were overloaded with players in those positions in the 50's and nobody was replacing Reese / Gilliam / Robinson up the middle.
    Here are his minor league stats.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=mcneal001cly

What medium did you acquire his autograph on? What else did you acquire in the lot?

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    From my edition of the Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues,

Clyde McNeal (aka McNeil), nickname Junior
    Negro League career 1944-1950
    positions: ss, 2b, 1b
    teams: Chicago American Giants (44-50), minor leagues (53-55, 57), Mexican League (55-56).
    Bats Right, Throws Right
    6'0" tall, 185 lbs
    Born Dec 15, 1928, San Antonio TX

This infielder was playing with Lonnie Greer's All-Stars in San Antonio, TX when he was signed by Chicago American Giants' manager Candy Jim Taylor in 1944. He won the starting shortstop position in 1946 and remained with the American Giants through 1950. He was a mediocre hitter with good power, but had a relatively high strikeout ratio and usually batted in the lower part of the order. In 1946 he batted only .189, but he improved his batting with averages of .251, .266, and .286 in 1948-50.

In the field he had good range and a strong arm. Shortstop was his best position, but in 1948 he moved to second base for a season before returning to shortstop the following year. "Double Duty" Radcliffe, who managed him during his last year in the Negro Leagues, was high in his praise for the infielder, and McNeal was selected for the West squad in the 1950 East-West All-Star game.

After that season the Dodgers purchased his contract and, after entering organized ball, he hit .275 with Elmira in 1953 while playing third base and shortstop. With Newport News in the Piedmont League during the next two years, he hit .309 and .269, but during the latter season he also played with Pueblo in the Western League and Monterrey in the Mexican League. In 1956, he hit .303 with 27 home runs and 89 RBI in 116 games. The next season he dropped off dramatically, finishing at .185 for his second tour with Pueblo, in 1957.
    I will note that the Mexican League at that time had some eye-popping offensive numbers, I'm sure partially due to playing a lot of games at high altitude.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    started a topic Clyde McNeil

Clyde McNeil

I was fortunate enough to recently obtain the autographs of a few star Negro League players. One of the autographs is of Clyde McNeil. Unfortunately, I must admit to being not familiar with his career. I don't seem able to obtain much biographical or playing information on Mr. McNeil via Google searches. I was hoping that some others here might be able to educate me as to Mr. McNeil and his career. Thank you.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X