In the running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the running

I realized today that Yogi Berra finished top 4 in MVP voting every year from '50 thru '56. That's 7 years in a row! I was wondering if that's a record. Also I'm curious to know the record for consecutive years in the top 3, top 5, etc. Can anyone help me out?
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-26-2006, 10:54 PM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

........anyone?
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

just saw your q- I'll get on it.
      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Some numbers for you to play with- Barry Bonds had two strings of five years in the top 4 (1990-1994, 2000-2004). Stan Musial had 10 straight years in the top ten (1948-1957). Willie Mays did too (the top six actually- 1957-1966). Lou Gehrig had seven, but would most likely have had eleven had he been eligible 1928-1930 (past winners weren't eligible in 1928, and in 1929 and 1930 there was no AL MVP). There were only MVP awards in seven of the seasons Eddie Collins played before 1925 (when he was 38), but he finished in the top 6 in all of them, so he may well have put together a string of 15 if the other years had had awards. However, I don't think his 1918 would have made top 5 if they'd had an award that year. Eddie Murray had 8 straight seasons in the top 11.

That's about all I can come up with for now. I think that's all the big ones who had long lists at or near the top.
        "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

A couple more for you:
          Albert Pujols has a current streak of 5 years in the top 4 (2001-05)
          Ken Griffey Jr. had 5 years in the top 5 (1993-98)
          Ted Williams had 6 consecutive playing years in the top 5 (1941-42, 1946-49)
          Hank Aaron had 19 consecutive years in the top 17 (1955-73)

And Bonds' streak from 2000-04 was actually 5 years in the top 2!

Comment

Klein was in the top TWO three straight years. Dean was in the top two three straight. Dimaggio seven straight in the top eight.
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Thanks guys.

That Bonds stat is one of the more impressive I've ever seen: TWO streaks of five straight years in the top 4. That should shut up the people who say he was just a good player before he started (allegedly) using steroids. He was BY FAR the best player of the 90's in my opinion.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                Thanks guys.

That Bonds stat is one of the more impressive I've ever seen: TWO streaks of five straight years in the top 4. That should shut up the people who say he was just a good player before he started (allegedly) using steroids. He was BY FAR the best player of the 90's in my opinion.
                No, there will never be enough to shut them up :grouchy
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  Klein was in the top TWO three straight years. Dean was in the top two three straight. Dimaggio seven straight in the top eight.
                  Is Newhouser the only pitcher other than Dean with three straight in the top three?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin
                    Is Newhouser the only pitcher other than Dean with three straight in the top three?
                    I couldn't find any others. Koufax was top 3 within a four year period (1962-65) and Warren Spahn was Top 5 three years in a row (1956-58)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X