Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Useful Update

Hello Baseball Fans,

Many of you mentioned the original article written about Bob Feller. Others some anecdotes. Today I wrote an article about this topic and included a nifty little velocity calculator (in case you ever wondered how many feet per second a 100 mph fastball is actually traveling).

The Fastest Pitcher in Baseball History

Enjoy,

Sean

Comment

I'm still digging through my things to find the Baseball Digest article that said NY Yankee (infielder) Mark Koenig threw the fastest pitch on record. I actually wrote to Koenig at the time. He denied throwing a ball that hard, saying that it was physically impossible to throw a ball as hard as what they clocked him at.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker
        Was is Koenig or Joe Gordon who was the Yankee 2nd baseman clocked as 117 (or was it 127) MPH? Maybe it was Koenig, but I seem to have misremembered it as Gordon. I think we are talking about the same story.

It was discussed in Baseball Digest several years ago. The editors stated that it wasn't clear what distance the 2nd baseman threw the ball (whether it was a 'pitch' or whether he was clocked from his 2nd base position.
        OK, so you remember it too. It was Koenig. I wrote him a letter years ago about this and he replied "it is humanly impossible to throw a ball 117 miles per hour."

Comment

at a spring training camp for the astros is was reported that JR Richard hurled a fastball at 103. whether thats true or not i dont know....
          "it aint over till its over"
          -yogi berra-

Comment

Eddie Feigner (the greatest fastpitch softball pitcher of all time) had a fastball clocked on a radar gun at 104. To my knowledge, this is faster than any clocked baseball pitcher.

I remember the game in which Randy was clocked at 100+, and it was in fact 102.

I seem to recall Nolan Ryan being clocked at 103.5 or so, in a controlled environment outside of a game.

Alan Embree, (setup man and now closer-by-committee chairman for the BoSox) was clocked at 100 at least once last season.
            "You just don't expect a guy weighing
            ninety-seven pounds to throw
            ninety-nine miles an hour. He's just
            very aggressive. I never really
            watched Bob Gibson pitch, but I get
            the feeling he's like a Gibson. If he has
            to throw one under your chin, he'll do
            it". - Larry Walker on Pedro Martinez

Comment

I remember watching a Cubs game where I think it said 101 mph after Kyle Farnsworth pitched. The Guiness record is just pure baloney. They don't ever keep track of it. I bet Walter Johnson or Bob Gibson threw it 101+ a couple times.

Comment

Jenks of Chicago threw 102, two times tonight in Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo
                  last year i saw randy at 102, Rob Nen at 100, Kyle Farnsworth at 101 and Felix Rodriguez at 100, to name a few.

The Dodgers Fan
                  Many Giants fans wish this was true but it's not. Mr. Nen last threw that hard three years ago.

Billy Wagner was in town last week and clocked a few at 100.
                  Last edited by buckthis; 08-28-2005, 11:17 AM.

Comment

How about Steve Dalkowski? He is the real version of "Nuke LaLushe." I've read stories that he could throw close to 110, this being back in the early 60's. He had massive control problems and eventually drank himself into dementia. Another tragic tale of wasted youth...
                    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Ichi Ro
                      Jenks of Chicago threw 102, two times tonight in Seattle.
                      I saw that last night. I thought it was funny when Jenks threw that 1st 102 mph ball,Richie Sexson fouled it off the HP umps mask.That had to rattle the ump.

Comment

When I'm at the ballpark I hardly pay attention to the speed of the pitch. Of course they often add 2-3 MPH to get the crowd into the game, I know Jenks, Wagner, and Johnson can get up there on the radar, but 102 MPH?
                        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by buckthis
                          Many Giants fans wish this was true but it's not. Mr. Nen last threw that hard three years ago.

And of course, the post you quoted is from... *drum roll* ...three years ago
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the radar guns in the stadiums are intentionally set up to run hot, just for hype's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by buckthis
                              last wednesday, wagner's 9th inning was clocked at, in sequence:
                              winn: 98, 98, 98, 98, 98, 99, 99, 99 - p3
                              vizquel: 100 - p4
                              feliz: 88, 100, 87 - 6-3
                              Originally posted by mordeci
                              I think the radar guns in the stadiums are intentionally set up to run hot, just for hype's sake.
                              i agree, three-finger.
                              also, depending on who is pitching, it goes the opposite direction and the clock gets turned off.
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by codehappy
                                Nobody knows who threw the hardest. Most radar guns used in-game to measure pitch speed are not kept well calibrated, and (depending on the delivery of the pitcher) don't always get a good enough "read" on a ball to return an accurate speed. So most of those readings are uncertain to within a couple MPH.

Nolan Ryan did have a fastball officially clocked at 101.9 MPH under controlled conditions, which is why his numbers are in the Guiness world record book. But, hey, Nolan Ryan probably pitched faster balls in a game sometime in his long MLB career. Nobody knows for sure which major league player had the fastest fastball. Nolan Ryan is a safe bet - certainly among the fastest - but nobody knows.

Many people who saw both Nolan Ryan and a minor league pitcher Steve Dalkowski pitch thought Dalkowski threw the hardest. A, ahem, "slight" control problem kept him out of the majors. Here's an article where you can read more about Dalkowski, it's certainly a fascinating story: http://home.rmci.net/taengon/page8.html

That site isn't up anymore, but try this:
                                http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...rs/175838.html

One of the trivia things:
                                In a high school game, Dalkowski threw a no-hit, no-run game with 18 strikeouts and 18 walks.
                                Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
                                Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X