X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post

. He's actually going to be 71 on June 3, and has been sober and in New Britain, CT since 1994. Not sure where some of the more recent articles have been getting that was still out in CA or inflating his age.
    How's he doing?

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    "Williams lived in Islamorada, FL in the Florida Keys and did a lot of bonefishing there when he retired. Oriole training camp was in Miami which is apx 100 miles, possibly even less from Islamorada. Who is to say Williams didnt go up there to see old friends or even possibly because he had been told of Dalkowski's speed and wanted to see for himself? It seems not only possible, but very probable, to me that Williams would make what is essentially a very easy day trip to Oriole training camp. "

Here's the problem: nobody's seen it. No catcher that ever caught Steve Dalkowski has backed it up. No manager or coach from any Spring Training Steve attended had ever heard of it until Pat Jordan published it in the 1970's. The oldest account was heard in 1960, told by both Steve and Ralph Lairmore in 1960 Spring Training with Stockton (heard it from multiple players, too), and varied considerably from the 1970's version Jordan published. No other player saw it or heard about any kind of aftermath, and I've spoken to multiple regulars from literally every team, including Spring Training squads, that Steve played for. Steve's own accounts of it have varied so widely that there's no consistency from one telling to the other. I can't arrive at any conclusion other than it was made up in 1960 Spring Training.

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
    "The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor."

This was Ron Shelton's spin on the story, I believe, after Pat Jordan's accounts of Steve vs. The Splendid Splinter in 1958 and 1959 and then 1960 were disproven. Thing is, after Williams had retired, Steve went to MLB Spring Training only twice: in 1961 and 1963 (Minor League Spring Training was held in Thomasville, GA). Both times, the Red Sox trained in Scottsdale, AZ. And both times, Baltimore trained in Miami, FL. What I've asked both myself and a number of Orioles Minor League managers and other personnel at the time was "what would Williams be doing in FL when his team was training in AZ?" Nobody has come up with a sufficient answer and most of the managers and other personnel I've spoken with are of the opinion that it never happened, though they do tend to stick by Walter Youse's version of the story, which was corroborated by Chuck Estrada and George Henderson (one of Youse's assistants present at the game).
    Williams lived in Islamorada, FL in the Florida Keys and did a lot of bonefishing there when he retired. Oriole training camp was in Miami which is apx 100 miles, possibly even less from Islamorada. Who is to say Williams didnt go up there to see old friends or even possibly because he had been told of Dalkowski's speed and wanted to see for himself? It seems not only possible, but very probable, to me that Williams would make what is essentially a very easy day trip to Oriole training camp.

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    "The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor."

This was Ron Shelton's spin on the story, I believe, after Pat Jordan's accounts of Steve vs. The Splendid Splinter in 1958 and 1959 and then 1960 were disproven. Thing is, after Williams had retired, Steve went to MLB Spring Training only twice: in 1961 and 1963 (Minor League Spring Training was held in Thomasville, GA). Both times, the Red Sox trained in Scottsdale, AZ. And both times, Baltimore trained in Miami, FL. What I've asked both myself and a number of Orioles Minor League managers and other personnel at the time was "what would Williams be doing in FL when his team was training in AZ?" Nobody has come up with a sufficient answer and most of the managers and other personnel I've spoken with are of the opinion that it never happened, though they do tend to stick by Walter Youse's version of the story, which was corroborated by Chuck Estrada and George Henderson (one of Youse's assistants present at the game).

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor.

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    Actually, there's A LOT wrong with that article. Steve Dalkowski never faced Ted Williams, for one thing. I've come up with a fairly good idea of where that came from, though: Steve was brought up for evaluation purposes after the 1958 season with Chuck Estrada and Marv Breeding as a non-roster player. All three worked out both before and after games during a series with the Boston Red Sox. Williams did WATCH Steve Dalkowski, but we don't know what kind of comments he made. Orioles scout Walter Youse, who was on hand for one of the games, claimed that Williams merely said "damned if I ever have to face him," though he never specified if it was Steve's speed or wildness. Steve and a back-up catcher named Ralph Lairmore likely conconcted this story some time during the 1959 season; I've actually heard the earliest version told, and you can tell it was meant as a joke.

Steve DID strike out 24 batters once (and also walked 19...occured August 31, 1957 in a 9-8 win over the Bluefield Dodgers. Ray Suto was on the mound for Bluefield and I have the rather jaw-dropping recap and box score), but never walked 28 (the most Steve ever walked in a single game was 20, also in 1957, against the Johnson City Phillies). He's actually going to be 71 on June 3, and has been sober and in New Britain, CT since 1994. Not sure where some of the more recent articles have been getting that was still out in CA or inflating his age.

Leave a comment:

• elmer
    replied
    a little on Dalkowski
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/arti...istances.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    Not fast enough, plus he has a running start. 161.3 km/h=just over 100.2 mph. Also, the bowled cricket ball bounces at a distance no greater than 30 feet from his hand. Nolan Ryan achieved the speed of 100.9 mph with no running start and at a much greater distance away from his hand (50 feet to be precise). Steve Dalkowski likely threw even harder, though his wildness prevented an accurate reading at any one of the three Aberdeen Proving Grounds US Army chronograph tests where he tried getting his fastball through a box-like device just exceeding the width of home plate.

Leave a comment:

• RSAmetsfan
    replied
    Shoaib Akhtar

Originally posted by Monsi View Post
    Does anybody know where to find more information about the Bob Feller story?

I have a bet with an English Cricket lover, who is telling me cricket bowlers are faster than baseball pitchers.
    Originally posted by Seurat View Post
    I shouldn't think this bet is still running, but I thought I'd add a bit of cricket info for the records.

The highest electronically measured speed for a ball bowled by any bowler is 100.23mph by Shoaib Akhtar of Pakistan in 2003. A similar speed was claimed for the Australian Jeff Thomson in the 1970s.

Speeds are now mostly measured using a system called Hawkeye info here which uses six cameras to measure trajectory and claims 99.99% accuracy. Speeds are given 0.5 seconds after the ball has left the bowler's hand.

Top speeds rarely top 90mph however, so I'd say that baseball pitchers are probably faster. Hard to compare considering the differences in action, run-up and objective though.

The debate about who was the fastest bowler of all time is just as heated as in baseball.
    Video of Akhtar's 161.3 km/h delivery here:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...astest+cricket

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    "When a scout tried to gauge Dalkowski's fastball with a primitive radar gun—a beam of light the width of home plate—the pitcher couldn't hit the target until after his arm got tired."

As some of you know, I'm actually writing a book about Steve (my candidate for fastest all time). My research has been fairly extensive...and the above bears absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened when they tried clocking Steve.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Probably Randy Johnson when he was with the Mariners.

Leave a comment:

• nolanryan5714
    replied
    You can also click the hyperlink in my sig.

I like this thread.

Leave a comment:

• FantasyBaseballMafia
    replied
    Great Column

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkmckenna
    The article is virtually worthless without us knowing its author, date and publication.

http://slate.com/id/2116402

That's a great link, thanks. lots of good links within the link as well

GP
    www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com
    http://wiretap.hipcast.com/rss/fbm_wiretap.xml

Leave a comment:

• KingSwisher
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmckenna View Post
    The article is virtually worthless without us knowing its author, date and publication.
    http://slate.com/id/2116402

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregory Pratt View Post
    Why on Earth can't I just submit this article as my post instead of having to waste twenty seconds exing out a "You must submit a message" message and then writing a message? Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X