Fastest Fastball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo
    The Guiness record is just pure baloney. They don't ever keep track of it. I bet Walter Johnson or Bob Gibson threw it 101+ a couple times.
    I can see where you are coming from with that comment, but in all fairness, don't you think Nolan threw a few pitches harder than 100.9? If Spring Training counts, or other "off-the-record" type of stuff, I'm sure the debate will rage on for eternity...but my gut feeling is that Nolan hurled a few fastballs topping 103 that went "unrecorded."
    -David
    Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
    "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsi
      I have a bet with an English Cricket lover, who is telling me cricket bowlers are faster than baseball pitchers.
      I shouldn't think this bet is still running, but I thought I'd add a bit of cricket info for the records.

The highest electronically measured speed for a ball bowled by any bowler is 100.23mph by Shoaib Akhtar of Pakistan in 2003. A similar speed was claimed for the Australian Jeff Thomson in the 1970s.

Speeds are now mostly measured using a system called Hawkeye info here which uses six cameras to measure trajectory and claims 99.99% accuracy. Speeds are given 0.5 seconds after the ball has left the bowler's hand.

Top speeds rarely top 90mph however, so I'd say that baseball pitchers are probably faster. Hard to compare considering the differences in action, run-up and objective though.

The debate about who was the fastest bowler of all time is just as heated as in baseball.

Comment

fastes fastball

i thank that randy johnson can throw it pretty hard i bet he can get at least 101 mph
        :gt the royals rock:gt

Comment

Sorry guys all of you who have been saying the record is 101 or 102 are now wrong, on 6-24-06, Joel Zumaya of the Detroit Tigers threw a 104 MPH fastball against St. Luis at comerica park. so there ya go guys, the radar gun record in the mlb is now 104

Comment

there was some guy who tried to pitch for the orioles, he had an elongated wrist bone, and he was SUPPPOSEDLY clocked at like 109, he couldn't throw strikes at all though, so i don't know if he ever pitched in the majors. i'll see if i can find his name
            Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

just looked above, and it was dalkowski
              Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Steve Dalkowsky?

Comment

I remember a game in Rob Dibble's prime where he was clocked at 102.

Comment

my own little story....current.

before I start I always though J.R. Richard had the guiness thing? But this thread starts with Nolan Ryan, oh well?

Joel Zumaya, has thrown 102 on several radar guns, both broadcast, and stadium. I also saw earlier in the year, Zumaya throw 104 in Toronto on THEIR stadium radar gun. Granted, that could be a mix up in the translation from both french language....to kilometers...to MPH, but the fans in Toronto gasped at the speed.

Down the road I see those Discovery Channel peeps, on Myth Busters, taking on the critical velocity of a baseball, as whenever people claim the 105+ fastball, physicists claim it is impossible....I would be curious as to the results. Although, those folks can look at the true speed of the baseball, as everything is measured, distance and time.

Comment

Zumaya, Embree, Wagner, Johnson... Ive seen all these guys clocked at least 102... so i dont know how ryan's 101.9 is the highest...maybe its the highest with an official gun?? i dont get it.

Comment

Tigers Joel Zumaya at 102-103 mph.

Joel Zumaya the young Tigers reliever regularly is clocked at 99-102 mph in every game he pitches. On at least one occasion this year I remember the radar displaying him reaching 103 mph. I believe he is consistenly the hardest thrower in the major leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                          Zumaya, Embree, Wagner, Johnson... Ive seen all these guys clocked at least 102... so i dont know how ryan's 101.9 is the highest...maybe its the highest with an official gun?? i dont get it.
                          yes, he is the fastest with an offifical gun. The guns in the major leagues are unreliable and often purposely set too high

Comment

I'd like to know if there are any speed numbers out there on Dick "The Monster" Radatz.

Dalko110 -- maybe you've heard of this other obscure guy whom ex-Mets Joe Christopher mentioned to me as scary fast: Harry "The Flame Thrower" Fanok (1963-64 Cardinals).

Comment

I'm pretty sure It's Ryan at 101. somthing but Daniel Cabrera hit about 100. somthing

Comment

some Old Radars are terrible. I was driving and a radar clocked a tree going 80 MPH

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X