Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please settle a bet

i got 20 bucks on this, guys.

i say that the fewest number of batters a pitcher has faced to earn a complete game is 13.
    my friend says no way.

please make him pay. thanx.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

July 30, 1971

Dick Drago - Royals vs. Orioles?
    Last edited by gregvanv; 01-06-2006, 11:20 AM. Reason: oops

Comment

The trick to your question is that you have to think about it from the point of view of a visiting team losing pitcher. Hurl four perfect innings, then give up a lead-off home run in the bottom of the fifth. That's thirteen batters and twelve outs. All you need now is rain and voila! you have a complete gain with only 13 batters involved.

Here is the entry from baseballlibrary.com on this happening to Dick Drago who pitched a complete game 14 batter affair.

"» July 30, 1971: Frank Robinson's home run spoils a no-hit bid by the Royals Dick Drago, who loses, 1–0, in a rain-shortened game. Play is stopped with one out in the 5th. Robby's homer is the 493rd, tying him with Lou Gehrig for 11th place on the homer list."
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

That's interesting...

While your scenario works, you don't even have to go into the bottom of the fifth.

And I believe (contrary to baseballlibrary.com), that is what happened here -- Frank Robinson's homer was in the first inning -- the game was called before the Orioles had any batter in the bottom of the fifth. A 48 minute game!
        Last edited by gregvanv; 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X