Longest "homestead" in MLB history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest "homestead" in MLB history?

Between the 23rd of June and the 22nd of July 1923, the Cleveland Indians played 31 consecutive games at home, with every other AL team visiting Cleveland during this period.

Is this the longest "homestead" in MLB history? Why did the Indians play 31 consecutive home games during this period?

I look forward to any information.
    "You can't hit what you can't see" - Walter "Big Train" Johnson

bump...anyone know this one?

Comment

If you go by games (and not days), the '24 Senators had 35 straight home games, but I have no idea if that's the all-time record.
      http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...24_sched.shtml

Comment

Don't know about the longest homestand, but this question reminds me of the 1992 Astros who went on one of the longest road trips ever due to the Republican National Convention being held at the Astrodome that year. From July 27 through August 26, the 'Stros played 26 consecutive road games, going 12-14 on an 8-city coast-to-coast-to-coast trek that took them from Atlanta to Cincinnati to Los Angeles to San Diego to San Francisco to Chicago to St. Louis to Philadelphia. I seem to recall it was touted as the longest road trip (# of games) in modern MLB history, topped only by some of the travelling teams in the 1800's.
        Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikie View Post
          Don't know about the longest homestand, but this question reminds me of the 1992 Astros who went on one of the longest road trips ever due to the Republican National Convention being held at the Astrodome that year. From July 27 through August 26, the 'Stros played 26 consecutive road games, going 12-14 on an 8-city coast-to-coast-to-coast trek that took them from Atlanta to Cincinnati to Los Angeles to San Diego to San Francisco to Chicago to St. Louis to Philadelphia. I seem to recall it was touted as the longest road trip (# of games) in modern MLB history, topped only by some of the travelling teams in the 1800's.
          Not quite true. The longest road trip in major league history (all though it was not quite during modern major league history) was by the 1899 Cleveland Spiders, who played their final 36 games of the season on the road. This was not because of any conventions or anything, it was because Cleveland drew an average of 179 fans to each of their home games and the rest of the NL eventually just refused to travel there to play.
          "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamC View Post
            Between the 23rd of June and the 22nd of July 1923, the Cleveland Indians played 31 consecutive games at home, with every other AL team visiting Cleveland during this period.

Is this the longest "homestead" in MLB history? Why did the Indians play 31 consecutive home games during this period?

I look forward to any information.
            The longest "homestead" in MLB history is that of the Chicago National League franchise. The Cubs have been a member of the National League since its inception in 1896, the only team with an unbroken string.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
              The longest "homestead" in MLB history is that of the Chicago National League franchise. The Cubs have been a member of the National League since its inception in 1896, the only team with an unbroken string.

Bob
              That doesn't seem to fit the spirit of post #1
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                That doesn't seem to fit the spirit of post #1
                No, but it fits the wording of the heading. Be careful that your eyes don't roll out of their sockets.

Bob

Comment

The N.L. was formed in 1876. But the homestead question is a good one, too.

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
                    The N.L. was formed in 1876.
                    Maybe bluezebra needs to check his own eyesockets
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                      Maybe bluezebra needs to check his own eyesockets

That a fact! Ol' Bob can't even answer his own interpretation of the question right.

Comment

I also believe the Expos played the last month of the season on the road in 1991 when a concrete beam collapsed at Olympic Stadium. I remember going to a couple of the games when they came to St.Louis, all seats I believe were $5.00, since it was not a scheduled series. Finally got to sit in box seats !!

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
                          The N.L. was formed in 1876. But the homestead question is a good one, too.
                          OOPS!! My bad. Typographical error. And no proof-reading.

Bob

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X