2 sports quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 sports quiz

who is the only athletes to hit a home run and sink an nba free throw?

Danny Ainge

Danny Ainge hit two home runs in 1979 while playing for the Toronto Blue Jays . . . and I think it's safe to assume that he made a few free throws while playing for the Celtics and others.

Good question.

Comment

...and assuming he made a free throw while playing for the Celtics, Gene Conley would be another one.

Comment

Because the standard is "hitting a homer", and not merely "playing in the Majors", Dave DeBusschere does not make the list. DeBusschere had one hit (a single) in 24 AB in 36 games as a White Sox pitcher in 1962 and 1963.

Now, if the question had been "who is the only athlete to picth a shutout and sink an NBA free throw", then DeBusschere would have been on that list. One of his 3 career victories was a 6-hit shutout of the Cleveland Indians 8/13/63, in which he bested Mudcat Grant.

Comment

Add Gene Conley to the list.
          28 year SABR member.

Comment

wow can't get anything past you guys and my family says i eat and sleep baseball.

Comment

Another Home Run And Nba Shot Player!

Who hit a home run and also an NBA free throw?
              Dick Groat, Pittsburgh Pirates and Pistons! He has not been mentioned yet.
              Gene Conley and Danny Ainge, both Celtics, also did it as Baseball Fever fans said. Nice question!!!!

Comment

Danny Ainge Again

Does any one know where Ainge hit those 2 career home runs?

Comment

Originally posted by bobkeaney View Post
                  Does any one know where Ainge hit those 2 career home runs?
                  From the player directory of the SABR web site they were both in the Kingdome................

06/02/1979 --- Joe Decker, Top 7; 0 outs; Bases Empty; Kingdome

08/21/1979 --- John Montague Top 7; 0 outs; Bases Empty; Kingdome
                  Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
                  www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

Comment

Mark Hendrickson hit a home run on 6/21/2003 off Sun-Woo Kim. He also made 110 free throws for Philadelphia, Sacramento, New Jersey and Cleveland. And for what's its worth he's pitched 2 shutouts.

Comment

Although it's not the NBA here are two others.

Frank Baumholtz hit 25 homers and made 121 free throws in the BAA.
                      Chuck Connors hit 2 homers and made 41 free throws in the BAA.

Also, Ron Reed is another that made a free throw and pitched a shutout (8 of them) but in 620 at bats and never went yard.

Comment

Chuck Connors Celtics

Thanks For Thedanny Ainge Answers. Great.

Also......chuck Connors Qualifies Because He Played For Celtics In The Nba.

Comment

I believe Bucky Harris and Harry Riconda played some level of pro basketball
                          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by bobkeaney View Post
                            Also......chuck Connors Qualifies Because He Played For Celtics In The Nba.
                            He did play for the Celtics but technically the NBA didn't start until the 1949-50 season. It was known as the BAA for three seasons before that. Connors last season was 1947-48.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivia Guy View Post
                              From the player directory of the SABR web site they were both in the Kingdome................

06/02/1979 --- Joe Decker, Top 7; 0 outs; Bases Empty; Kingdome

08/21/1979 --- John Montague Top 7; 0 outs; Bases Empty; Kingdome
                              Or, if you prefer

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...1010011979.htm
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X