Great Bowlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Bowlers

In the modern era, only Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Max Carey, Goose Goslin, and Clyde Milan have reached this career milestone.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Well 4 of the 5 you mentioned are the all-time assists leaders for the outfield

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
      Well 4 of the 5 you mentioned are the all-time assists leaders for the outfield
      Naturally any answer that starts "4 of the 5" is incorrect.

Comment

It wasn't assist, but fielding was involved.

Comment

I'll guess making over 200 career errors playing in the outfield?
          Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MikieNix
            I'll guess making over 200 career errors playing in the outfield?

That is exactly it!! They are the only OFers in the modern era with 200 or more errors.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              That is exactly it!! They are the only OFers in the modern era with 200 or more errors.
              I find it somehow mind-boggling that not only did the great Ty Cobb made 270+ errors as a full-time OF'er, but 3 other HOF'ers did too! Clyde "Deerfoot" Milan was nicknamed for his speed on the bases, so one can assume he got to a lot of balls in the OF, apparently what happened after he did was uncertain.

Comment

I think it may speak to the qualityof the equipment and play of that time frame as much as anything. Tris Speaker was considered the finest CF prior to Willie Mays and he made 222 errors. Of course, he also had 449 assists.

All these guys, but Milan, played at least 2287 games, too,

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                  I think it may speak to the qualityof the equipment and play of that time frame as much as anything. Tris Speaker was considered the finest CF prior to Willie Mays and he made 222 errors. Of course, he also had 449 assists.

All these guys, but Milan, played at least 2287 games, too,
                  No doubt equipment-related, and longevity of course. I think it's accepted that scoring tended to to be tougher on the hitters then as well; errors were considered more a normal part of the game, it was the guys who didn't make them that stood out, rather than like today when it's the guys who do make them that stand out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X