HOF Play of the Centuries...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBIS
    started a topic HOF Play of the Centuries...

HOF Play of the Centuries...

I do not know the answer, but for all you Stat Mongers out there, you might! What single PLAY would have featured the most future HOF'ers, barring any All-Star Games? I would imagine it could feature up to 6 players (pitcher-batter-fielder1-fielder2-fielder3-baserunner for a double play). Would be curious to know some plays in the running...

• Stolensingle
    replied
    You could add another person in if a HOF manager argued the call with the umpire.

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    Looking only at triple plays regarding pitcher, batter, and fielders, only one involved more than 3 Hall of Famers. On June 12, 1925, Kiki Cuyler (HOF) of the Pirates batted against Virgil Barnes of the Giants. Max Carey (HOF) was on 2nd, and Jimmy Rawlings was on 1st. Cuyler singled with a liner that shortstop Travis Jackson (HOF) got a glove on to known down. Carey rounded 3rd and was out in a rundown, Jackson to catcher Hank Gowdy to third baseman Heini Groh. Rawlings had run toward third and was put out, Groh to second baseman George Kelly (HOF.) Cuyler had rounded first, and he was putout, Kelly to first baseman Bill Terry (HOF.)

So as far as pitcher/batter/fielders, that's 4 HOFers -- Cuyler, Jackson, Kelly, and Terry. One of the runners, Carey, makes it 5, but I don't have quick access to the runners on other triple plays.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I'm not sure how to access searchable play data, or if it even exists that far back, but there has to have been a double play that involves Tinkers / Evers / Chance and at least one HOFer batting and or/on first.

Or if Vizquel makes it, the Indians with Thome, Alomar and Vizquel

Or the Giants with Bill Terry, Hornsby and Lindstrom

Are there other infields with a HOF at 1st, 2nd and either SS or 3rd?
    1927 Giants: Terry, Hornsby, Travis Jackson, Lindstrom.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Maybe the Robinson/Reese Dodgers with Campy doing something at catcher? Young Sandy Koufax on the mound (1955ish) and a HOFer hitter at home plate?

Dave Bancroft, High Pockets Kelly and Frankie Frisch all were together on the same infield.

Maybe one of the Negro League teams? The movement of players was pretty extensive.

This came up in another thread....Gehrig, Lazzeri and Sewell all played together on the Yankees at the end of Sewell's career in the 1930's.
    I hadn't considered pitchers. Three Finger Brown was on those cubs teams. Burleigh Grimes was on the 27 Giants with Terry, Hornsby and Lindstrom. Lefty Gomez, Herb Pennock and Red Ruffning were on the teams with Gehrig Lazzeri and Sewell

There had to be a double play with the pitcher and three infielders - which would be four without even considering the runner and hitter

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I'm not sure how to access searchable play data, or if it even exists that far back, but there has to have been a double play that involves Tinkers / Evers / Chance and at least one HOFer batting and or/on first.

Maybe the Robinson/Reese Dodgers with Campy doing something at catcher? Young Sandy Koufax on the mound (1955ish) and a HOFer hitter at home plate?

Dave Bancroft, High Pockets Kelly and Frankie Frisch all were together on the same infield.

Maybe one of the Negro League teams? The movement of players was pretty extensive.

This came up in another thread....Gehrig, Lazzeri and Sewell all played together on the Yankees at the end of Sewell's career in the 1930's.
    Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RBIS
    replied
    The best I can find is a 5-4-3 Triple play on 9/11/31 in The Bronx, featuring Ruth, Sewell, Combs and Ted Lyons starting it all off on the mound. That's a total of 4 HOF on one single play.

Leave a comment:

• SteveJRogers
    replied
    Look at some of the WS of the 20s and 30s featuring Frankie Frisch’s Giants or Cardinals!

Seriously, I’m pretty sure one of those squads still holds tge record for most HOFers on a single team’s “played at least one game” roster.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X