Bochy winds Up 5th in Career managerial Losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bochy winds Up 5th in Career managerial Losses

Bruce Bochy, who retired after last season wound up 11th in career managerial Wins and 5th in losses (2003-2029)..
    In Wins he placed between 10th place Leo Durocher (2008 Wins (2008-1709) and 12th place Casey Stengel (1905 Wins: 1905-1842).
    It was questionable whether Bochy's
    San Francisco Giants would play well enough to reach 2,000 wins, but they eked out 75 wins to get Bochy over the 2000 Wins milestone, with 2003 Wins.

Career Losses Leaders:
    1. Connie Mack 3731-3948
    2. Tony La Russa 2728-2365
    3. Bucky Harris 2158-2219
    4. Gene Mauch 1902-2037
    5. Bruce Bochy 2003-2029
    6. Joe Torre 2326-1997.
    Last edited by 1954 Phils; 02-04-2020, 09:32 PM.

It won't make a lick of difference to his Hall of Fame case. To illustrate the point, I don't recall anyone talking about Bochy's place on the career loss last year, though Boch (and his Hall credentials) were discussed a good bit. Interesting fact.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
      It won't make a lick of difference to his Hall of Fame case. To illustrate the point, I don't recall anyone talking about Bochy's place on the career loss last year, though Boch (and his Hall credentials) were discussed a good bit. Interesting fact.
      3 World's Championships in 5 years will lead the writers or veterans committees to overlook a slightly under .500 career record.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post

3 World's Championships in 5 years will lead the writers or veterans committees to overlook a slightly under .500 career record.
        Add that to his longevity and I for one would shake on it.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post

I think just one would have. Look at Gene Mauch (#4 on that list).
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Of all the managerial records I think that a couple of the most interesting are Wilbert Robinson (1399-1398; Win % .500 and Roger Craig 738-737; Win % .500. - Although both Robinson ( a Pre- World War Two Hall Of Famer) and Craig have won more games than they've lost their winning percentage is recorded as .500, because while their actual winning percentage is more than .500000, their winning percentage is less than .5005 and so their winning percentage is "rounded down" to an even .500.

Just looking at winning percentages of some recent managers - Danny Murtaugh's managerial record stands out. His .540 winning percentage (1,115-950) for a career that is over 2,000 games long is very good and I think that he should have been elected to the Baseball Hall Of fame by now. He died in December 1976 of a hear attack at age 59 and if he had lived and managed say, five more years, he would have built a managerial record that would have been so good that his election to the Hall Of Fame would have been almost mandatory, because managers with similar records would all be members of the Hall Of Fame and that would MANDATE MURTAUGH'S HOF election as well.

I think that among active managers that Dusty Baker (who will be an active manager again in 2020 and who is approaching 1,900 managerial wins), Joe Maddon and Terry Francona are almost locks for Hall Of Fame status upon their retirements. Among the recently retired managers Bruce Bochy, despite an under .500 overall record, Davey Johnson, Mike Scioscia, and Lou Pinella will have their days in Cooperstown. I'd elect Jim Leyland as well - even though his winning % is only slightly over .500, at .506 As well as one world's championship and a few trips to the World Series and skippering many division winning, first-place regular season winners, Leyland deserves credit for his longevity - since he's managed nearly 3,500 regular season games (1,769-1,728) - a total of 3,497 regular season games managed overall.

Comment

I think managers to make the HOF basically need to get in by one of three criteria:

1) Very high winning percentage and a longer career, even without a championship (Al Lopez pathway)
              2) Total number of victories (top 10 all time or so) and at least one championship. 0.500 career winning percentage is okay. (Bucky Harris pathway)
              3) Manager of a dynasty with three WS titles, maybe 2 titles if you have more pennants, even if you don't have a lot of career wins. (Billy Southworth pathway).

I don't think you get in without doing one of the above (note, this excludes combo credit for also being a player). Bruce hits points 2 and 3; he's going in.
              Man will land on the moon before the Mets win the World Series.-Ed Kranepool, Spring Training, 1969

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X