Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Highest OPS in a season by player with less than 20 HR's in that season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5 Highest OPS in a season by player with less than 20 HR's in that season

    Modern era 1903 to present
    OPS not OPS+

    1- Heilmann 1.113 in 1923
    2- Vaughan 1.098 in 1935
    3- Cobb 1.086 in 1911
    4- Hornsby 1.086 in 1923
    5- Sisler 1.082 in 1920
    Last edited by leagueleader; 02-16-2020, 01:57 PM.

  • #2
    Ty Cobb 1911.

    Arguably the most dominant and all around amazing offensive season ever.

    Led in runs, doubles, triples, RBI, SB, BA, SLG, OPS, OPS+, Total Bases.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cobb 1911 is correct - 3rd highest ever 1.086

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll try George Sisler- either 1920 or 1922. I know he hit .420 in 1922, but I'm not sure if that's the year he set the hit record (since passed), or if he did that in 1920, when he was also over .400.

        Comment


        • #5
          I love these kind of questions. There can't be that many candidates- have to have a very high BA, lots of doubles and triples, walk some.

          The main guys that come to mind for me are:
          Cobb- did he have other seasons which approached 1911? Probably.
          Sisler- I already guessed him.
          Joe Jackson
          Tris Speaker
          Harry Heilmann- he was around .400 a bunch of times. I don't know if he ever had more than 20 homers.
          Honus Wagner- but he spent much of his career in a terrible hitting era.
          Paul Waner- he could be a candidate since he was an absolute doubles and triples machine, and took some walks.

          I don't feel good about Gwynn or Carew- neither one had a lot of extra base pop.

          I'll guess Heilmann, but I have no idea what year. He spent most of the 20s hitting around .400, it seems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BigRon View Post
            I love these kind of questions. There can't be that many candidates- have to have a very high BA, lots of doubles and triples, walk some.

            The main guys that come to mind for me are:
            Cobb- did he have other seasons which approached 1911? Probably.
            Sisler- I already guessed him.
            Joe Jackson
            Tris Speaker
            Harry Heilmann- he was around .400 a bunch of times. I don't know if he ever had more than 20 homers.
            Honus Wagner- but he spent much of his career in a terrible hitting era.
            Paul Waner- he could be a candidate since he was an absolute doubles and triples machine, and took some walks.

            I don't feel good about Gwynn or Carew- neither one had a lot of extra base pop.

            I'll guess Heilmann, but I have no idea what year. He spent most of the 20s hitting around .400, it seems.
            All good guesses! You got it Heilmann in1923 had the highest OPS of all. #1 1.113

            Comment


            • #7
              Okay, I guess you're saying that none of my other player picks were right. Only Heilmann in 1923, right? Or is it that I only guessed Heilmann in my last post?

              I'll guess Speaker- he had a lot of great seasons and he hit tons of doubles and triples. I don't know what year, though- he had so many great seasons including up into the 20s when he was with Cleveland.

              Comment


              • #8
                Cy Seymour had a big season in 1905. Pete Reiser in 1941? Joe Morgan any of 1972 - 1975?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                  I'll try George Sisler- either 1920 or 1922. I know he hit .420 in 1922, but I'm not sure if that's the year he set the hit record (since passed), or if he did that in 1920, when he was also over .400.
                  Sisler is #5-- 1.082 in 1920

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                    Okay, I guess you're saying that none of my other player picks were right. Only Heilmann in 1923, right? Or is it that I only guessed Heilmann in my last post?

                    I'll guess Speaker- he had a lot of great seasons and he hit tons of doubles and triples. I don't know what year, though- he had so many great seasons including up into the 20s when he was with Cleveland.
                    Speaker was very close #7 behind Al Simmons #6- All the rest you guessed were probably among the top 15 but not top 5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                      Cy Seymour had a big season in 1905. Pete Reiser in 1941? Joe Morgan any of 1972 - 1975?
                      No for all three

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is buggin' me. I don't want any clues, but there's got to be a pretty limited list of candidates. If you started the clock in 1901, what I consider the beginning of the Modern era- when the AL came into existence- I'd place money on Nap Lajoie. He tore the AL apart in 01. I think he led in almost every offensive category, and hit something ridiculous like .426 or .428 or .430. But you're saying 1903, right?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Arky Vaughan(1935) and Manush

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            These OPS levels of around 1.100 are extremely high for limited home run hitters. It requires a very high OBP (requiring some combination of high BA and/or walk rate) and a high slugging average. Without a lot of homers you can't get a high SA without a high BA and lots of doubles and/or triples. Obviously there are some others which fit this mold. I thought about Bill Terry in 1930, but I'm almost positive he had more than 20 homers, so he's out.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                              Arky Vaughan(1935) and Manush
                              Ooh, Arky Vaughan- that's a good one! I should have thought of him. He had the highest BA in Pirate history- I think it was .385 or .386, had good extra base power, and also was big walker- a perfect mix. He definitely could be one of them.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X