5 Highest OPS in a season by player with less than 20 HR's in that season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    This is buggin' me. I don't want any clues, but there's got to be a pretty limited list of candidates. If you started the clock in 1901, what I consider the beginning of the Modern era- when the AL came into existence- I'd place money on Nap Lajoie. He tore the AL apart in 01. I think he led in almost every offensive category, and hit something ridiculous like .426 or .428 or .430. But you're saying 1903, right?
    Right I start with 1903 as the modern era when the first World Series was played.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
      Arky Vaughan(1935) and Manush
      Vaughan 1935 1.098

Correct, that was some season Vaughan had. Also highest OBP .491 in this group.
      Also in that year one of the 4 SS in history with over a .600 SLG. PCT., Arod, Banks,
      & Garciaparra were the others unlike Vaughan they all had over 20 HR's.

Comment

Originally posted by leagueleader View Post

Vaughan 1935 1.098

Correct, that was some season Vaughan had. Also highest OBP .491 in this group.
        Also in that year one of the 4 SS in history with over a .600 SLG. PCT., Arod, Banks,
        & Garciaparra were the others unlike Vaughan they all had over 20 HR's.
        Richard Nixon was a classmate of Vaughan.When Nixon named his personal All-Time team for the MLB Centennial in 1969,he named Arky as his starting shortstop over Wagner!That takes some loyalty.

Comment

Richard Nixon was a classmate of Vaughan.When Nixon named his personal All-Time team for the MLB Centennial in 1969,he named Arky as his starting shortstop over Wagner!That takes some loyalty.
          Bill James has Vaughan #2 behind Wagner. Vaughan does have credentials!

Nixon was the 1st guy I ever voted for, IMO he should be more appreciated!
          Last edited by leagueleader; 02-15-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Bill James has Vaughan #2 behind Wagner. Vaughan does have credentials
            Vaughan was an outstanding player.He was a baseball teammate in high school of Willard Hershberger.Both men had tragic deaths.On a lighter note,both men batted over .300 lifetime.I don`t believe the Waners or Meusels played HS baseball together,so that would leave only one other pair of one time HS teammates to each hit .300 or better lifetime.This would be a good trivia question!
            Last edited by Nimrod; 02-15-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Vaughan was an outstanding player.He was a baseball teammate in high school of Willard Hershberger.Both men had tragic deaths.On a lighter note,both men batted over .300 lifetime.I don`t believe the Waners or Meusels played HS baseball together,so that would leave only one other pair of one time HS teammates to each hit .300 or better lifetime.This would be a good trivia question!
              Joe Sewell & Riggs Stephenson were a double play combo in college at Alabama

Comment

There just aren't a lot of good candidates left. One possible is Goose Goslin, who had some outstanding seasons with Washington. Homers were almost impossible at Griffith, so I'm pretty sure Goslin never reached 20 while with the Senators. So, I'll give him a try but I'm not confident about him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                  There just aren't a lot of good candidates left. One possible is Goose Goslin, who had some outstanding seasons with Washington. Homers were almost impossible at Griffith, so I'm pretty sure Goslin never reached 20 while with the Senators. So, I'll give him a try but I'm not confident about him.
                  Goslin not among the top 5 but was one of about 14 to have an OPS of over 1.000

Hint: Think of a player who many times hit over 20 HR's in a season but in this particular season slumped
                  below 20 HR though kept his average way up there. Kind of like Al Simmons who is #6

Comment

Medwick and Hornsby if not Big Ron`s choice of Goslin.

Comment

Medwick and Hornsby if not Big Ron`s choice of Goslin.
                      Hornsby in 1923 is correct, only managed slightly over 400 AB & only 17 HR's after breaking the NL record with 42 HR the tear before.

Comment

Hornsby in 1923 is correct, only managed slightly over 400 AB & only 17 HR's after breaking the NL record with 42 HR the tear before.
                        Ha! I was just in the process of writing up a post suggesting Hornsby. I referenced Simmons, too. Both missed a lot of games so their HR totals were down but their rate stats- BA, OBP, SA were very high. I didn't look Hornsby up because I was trying to guess, but after the fact I realized that this was 1923- he had a knee injury, then later in the season some mysterious rash that drove him crazy. I think he missed about 50 games.

Great quiz, ll.

Comment

Does not surprise me.I`ll bet Joe Jackson racked up more than a few seasons high up in the under 20 homer group with highest OPS.By the way,it is Joe Cronin(.301) and Wally Berger(.300)that are the other pair of high school teammates that batted .300 or better lifetime.I noticed that they both started in the 1935 All-Star Game(both playing on a Boston team) along with Arky Vaughan-so there is 3 of the 4 players right there!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X