exclusive records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exclusive records

Recently, Jimmy Gobble tied the record of 3 pitches in an inning, on a flyout, a single, and a double play. What other rare records have you seen or heard live, excluding publicized ones i.e. 4 home runs in a game.
    heard at Kauffman stadium:
    "Michael Tucker!...
    Trade him to the Mets!...
    Baseball purgatory!..."

This thread probably doesn't really belong in the trivia section but as long as you started it, something happened the other day that made me wonder if it has ever happened before.

Kevin Youkilis of the Red Sox, in his second major league at-bat got his first hit ever, a home run. I know previous players have had their first hits be home runs but Youkilis did this on his birthday.

Last year Bill Mueller (Red Sox) became the first player ever to hit a grand slam from each side of the plate in the same game. When he did it everyone went searching for their record books. It took the guys on the local radio station a few innings to figure out that he was the only player to ever accomplish this feat.
    "He could hit better with a broken arm than we could with two good arms." - Jerry Coleman (on Ted Williams)

Comment

Yeah, not really trivia, but as far as it goes...

I happened to be watching a Cardinals game a few years back when Fernando Tatis set a basically unbreakable record... 8 RBI's in one inning (I believe against one pitcher).
      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

I happened to be watching a Cardinals game a few years back when Fernando Tatis set a basically unbreakable record... 8 RBI's in one inning (I believe against one pitcher).
        It was 2 grand slams, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

That pitcher would have to be Chan Ho Park of the Dodgers. I was in Oakland visiting a friend of mine and I thought I'd make it back in Southern California by the time the game ended, but somewhere over a 4000-foot climb up a mountain, I heard Ross Porter on the radio and how Tatis was the only player to hit two grand slams in an inning. That's how I remember the game.
          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

I saw the Tigers turn a triple play against my Mariners at Comerica Park, August 2001. h

Comment

Kaz Ishii only threw 3 pitches against the O's way back when. 3 Fly Outs.
              "First he's going, then he's staying. Why's he staying? Because I'm an idiot. Why don't we make everybody happy, let the hero stay, make the idiot go home" - Sergeant Maxwell Q. Klinger

Comment

I was at Yankee stadium when Mickey Mantle hit his 500th homer, on my birthday.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by Oriolesfan1810
                  Kaz Ishii only threw 3 pitches against the O's way back when. 3 Fly Outs.
                  That's a miracle for Kaz Ishii. Usually it takes him 3 pitches per batter just to get warm before he actually starts to try to get them out. Quite possibly the worst control I've ever seen on a pitcher that wasn't obviously afflicted with Blass Disease.

And regarding the first guy saying that 3 pitches is the record for an inning:

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a case of a pitcher getting credit for 1 IP in 1 or 2 pitches by virtue of inherited runners and either a double or possibly a triple play. Basically stating that I'm pretty sure the record is at most 2 pitches and likely even 1.

Comment

Originally posted by flash143817
                    And regarding the first guy saying that 3 pitches is the record for an inning:

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a case of a pitcher getting credit for 1 IP in 1 or 2 pitches by virtue of inherited runners and either a double or possibly a triple play. Basically stating that I'm pretty sure the record is at most 2 pitches and likely even 1.
                    I know of three cases were a pitcher was credited for pitching a full inning on just one pitch.

July 30, 1924: Bill Sherdel is called out of the Cardinals bullpen to pitch to PH Johnny Mokan of the Phillies. There are no outs in the eighth with runner's on 1B and 2B. Sherdel throws one ball, and Mokan bunts it in the air to Jim Bottomley coming in from 1B. He throws to SS Jimmy Cooney, who doubles the runner at 2B and throws to Hornsby who goes covering 1B. A triple play on one pitch.

July 27, 1930: Cincinnati hurler Ken Ash throws one pitch in relief against the Chicago Cubs but got credit for a full inning pitched and a victory. Ash relieved in the sixth inning with two Cubs on base and nobody out, and promptly induced Charlie Grimm to ground into a triple play. All outs on tags. Ash was lifted the next inning for a PH, and the Reds scored 4 times, giving him the 6-5 win, his last ML win.

September 7, 1935: Cleveland beats Boston thanks to an unusual triple play. With no outs and the bases loaded in game 1, and the Indians leading, 5–3, in the 9th, the Indians bring in Oral Hildebrand to pitch to Joe Cronin. Cronin lines his first pitch off the side of the head of Cleveland 3B Odell Hale. The ball caroms to SS Bill Knickerbocker, who throws to 2B Roy Hughes, who throws to 1B Hal Trosky to finish the triple play ending the game.

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis
                      I was at Yankee stadium when Mickey Mantle hit his 500th homer, on my birthday.
                      Mother's Day, 1967, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Utter Chaos

September 7, 1935: Cleveland beats Boston thanks to an unusual triple play. With no outs and the bases loaded in game 1, and the Indians leading, 5–3, in the 9th, the Indians bring in Oral Hildebrand to pitch to Joe Cronin. Cronin lines his first pitch off the side of the head of Cleveland 3B Odell Hale. The ball caroms to SS Bill Knickerbocker, who throws to 2B Roy Hughes, who throws to 1B Hal Trosky to finish the triple play ending the game.
                        OUCH! A 5-6-4-3 triple play!

Comment

Originally posted by flash143817
                          or a pickoff play. I know Tippy Martinez picked off 3 guys in 1 inning once with the O's. He did throw some pitches to get those base runners on base in the first place though. The O's had to bring Lenn Sakata in to catch, I believe because of injuries, and the baserunners were so anxious to steal on him that they all were picked off!

Comment

Originally posted by Budtaff
                            or a pickoff play. I know Tippy Martinez picked off 3 guys in 1 inning once with the O's. He did throw some pitches to get those base runners on base in the first place though. The O's had to bring Lenn Sakata in to catch, I believe because of injuries, and the baserunners were so anxious to steal on him that they all were picked off!
                            Tippy came in on August 24, 1983 with a runner on first and picked him off. Then he walked the next batter and picked him off, too. Then he gave up a single and picked the third runner off.

Tippy's line would have looked kind of scary 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K.

And he must have had to throw at least five pitches - to home plate, that is...

Comment

Originally posted by Budtaff

Good point. Forgot about pickoffs. So the theoretical record would be 1 IP and 0 pitches if a pitcher entered with bases loaded and 0 out and picked off all 3 runners without throwing a pitcher.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X