Ceremonial first pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceremonial first pitch

When was the ceremonial first pitch changed from being thrown out of the stands to being thrown off the mound and what was the reason for these changes?
    Lakewood Blueclaws From my home town Lakewood,nj
    are the SAL champs!!!!!!!!!!!!

It didn't start out as a "first pitch." Originally it was literally throwing out (onto the field) the first ball, which was then used for the first actual pitch of the game. Now, of course, the "first pitch" ball is never actually pitched at all; after the ceremonial delivery, it's returned to the celebrity or honoree for a souvenir.

Exactly when the switch came, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
      Now, of course, the "first pitch" ball is never actually pitched at all; after the ceremonial delivery, it's returned to the celebrity or honoree for a souvenir.
      I just read something in one player's bio that he "won" a scramble for the first pitch that was thrown out by a president (FDR, I think). Does this sound familiar to anyone?
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
        I just read something in one player's bio that he "won" a scramble for the first pitch that was thrown out by a president (FDR, I think). Does this sound familiar to anyone?
        The President you're referring to was John Fitzgerald Kennedy (JFK).

The "First Pitch" started with William Howard Taft on April 14, 1910. The "7th Inning Stretch" started when Taft got up to stretch his legs, and the fans rose also, in respect to the President.

Bob
        Last edited by bluezebra; 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
          Then who won the scramble?

<The "7th Inning Stretch" started when Taft got up to stretch his legs, and the fans rose also, in respect to the President.>

That's one version
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

One of the first people I remember being on the field for the first pitch was Elie Weisel during game two at Shea Stadium in 1986. He looked like he was standing about five or six feet from Gary Carter when he made his throw. I wonder if he was on the field so that more people in the crowd could get a view of him. Getting him was probably a big coup for the Mets, and Gary Carter looked to be very impressed to be in his presence.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
              They mentioned something about that tonight on the ESPN broadcast, and they showed a clip of Senators players going after the ball.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                They mentioned something about that tonight on the ESPN broadcast, and they showed a clip of Senators players going after the ball.
                Well, at least I'm not totally crazy (concerning this one particular point

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
                  Actually, the President *I'm* referring to was FDR.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballp...ie_Manush_1901

I try to do some research before contributing to the acronym thread in the Between Innings forum

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=74681

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X