Clyde McCullough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde McCullough

I wanted to know what you think about Clyde McCullough 1948 all-star season it was so awful does anybody have anything to add to this?
    Lakewood Blueclaws From my home town Lakewood,nj
    are the SAL champs!!!!!!!!!!!!

McCullough wasn't even the best catcher on his team that year - Bob Scheffing was. He must have been chosen because he wouldn't complain if he was only used as a bullpen catcher. Walker Cooper started the game, and Phil Masi came in for the second half. McCullough never played.

It was a bad year for catchers all around in the NL that year. Campanella had a pretty good rookie season, but nothing special (102 OPS+). Walker Cooper was better, but missed a lot of games. Scheffing was OK, and that was about it for catchers.

I can't believe McCullough made TWO all-star teams, including one in 1953 at age 36 when his OPS+ was 72. The NL dressed five (!) catchers for that game, but Campanella played every inning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by yanks08701 View Post
      I wanted to know what you think about Clyde McCullough 1948 all-star season it was so awful does anybody have anything to add to this?
      Thanks for the tip, I'm always looking for better (worse) players for my worst All-Star team. The amazing thing is that his OPS+ in the years that he was an All-Star was about TWENTY-FIVE points below his mediocre career OPS+
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. But I have a McCullough related question I don't know the answer to.
        I know McCullough batted in the 1945 World Series after missing the entire season in the military. Someone told me somewhere there was another to do that. I had heard Clyde was the only one. Does anyone else know who the other one is, if there is another one, that played in the Series after missing the entire season?

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
        Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis View Post
          I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. But I have a McCullough related question I don't know the answer to.
          I know McCullough batted in the 1945 World Series after missing the entire season in the military. Someone told me somewhere there was another to do that. I had heard Clyde was the only one. Does anyone else know who the other one is, if there is another one, that played in the Series after missing the entire season?
          I don't think anyone did during WW2 but Cy Block and Tommy Bridges were close. Virgil Trucks pitched almost nothing during the regular season
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Sy Sutcliffe played in the 1887 series without appearing in the regular season.
            "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
              Sy Sutcliffe played in the 1887 series without appearing in the regular season.
              Bug Holliday in 1885, if you want to go that route

Comment

That is nice info. But I was under the impression they meant the modern World Series. I think McCullough was the only one. But someone told me otherwise.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

He's a pitcher, but we're talking back in 1951. Does Alex Konikowski count?

Comment

Allan Lewis, 1973?

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                      Bug Holliday in 1885, if you want to go that route
                      You gotta wonder why Holliday wasn't invited by Anson to stick around for Spring '86. When he finally came to the majors for good in '89, he had one of the all-time best rookie seasons, setting the rookie home run record that wasn't broken until Lou Gehrig came along 36 years later. His 19 homers were- at the time- considered a bigger deal than Sam Thompson breaking the 20 barrier (for the first time with overhand pitching) since AA parks were bigger. What did Anson miss?
                      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X