Triple Crown Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Crown Quiz

To make it fun, please don't check any sources before posting.

With that said, I'm just giving everyone something to do. It's a very easy quiz, but it's interesting to see what you remember. So please post honestly to what you know.

(when answering, include both pitchers and batters; don't give an individual answer for each unless said so)

1) Who was the first Triple Crown winner?
    2) Who has won the most Triple Crowns?
    3) For batting, who is the only winner of a Triple Crown for the American Association?
    4) How many times have the Red Sox had a player who won a Triple Crown?
    5) Who has won the most Major League (lead the entire MLB) Triple Crowns?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post

With that said, I'm just giving everyone something to do. It's a very easy quiz, but it's interesting to see what you remember. So please post honestly to what you know.

(when answering, include both pitchers and batters; don't give an individual answer for each unless said so)

3) For batting, who is the only winner of a Triple Crown for the American Association?

1. Ty Cobb? Unless we are going back to the Ross Barnes days when he probably did it. Actually did Big Ed Delahanty ever do it?

2. Ted Williams I thought was the only one with 2...

3. Pete Browning?

4. Hmm...Ted Williams twice...Yaz...3?

5. Mickey Mantle was the last guy to do it. Don't know if Teddy Ballgame did it during both of his TC's...

Oh I just noticed that you were asking for hitting AND pitching. Well, all my answers are just for batters.

Comment

I think Paul Hines of Providence in the early NL is now recognized as the 1st hitting TC winner. Ted Williams has 2 TC's, Jimmie Foxx would have 2 also if the 1932 batting title was scored under modern day rules. Dale Alexanders 1932 AL batting title wouldnt be recognized under todays criteria to win the crown. I think Rogers Hornsby may have 2 TC's also. Doing this ALL just from memory, I think Tip O'Neill was the AA Triple Crown winner. The Bosox have had Ted Williams twice, Yaz once. If Mantle's crown led all the MLB then I will say he is the winner there. I do not know the pitching TC winners, that stat has never gotten the pub of the batting Triple Crown.

Comment

Originally posted by flash143817 View Post
        1. Ty Cobb? Unless we are going back to the Ross Barnes days when he probably did it. Actually did Big Ed Delahanty ever do it?

2. Ted Williams I thought was the only one with 2...

3. Pete Browning?

4. Hmm...Ted Williams twice...Yaz...3?

5. Mickey Mantle was the last guy to do it. Don't know if Teddy Ballgame did it during both of his TC's...

Oh I just noticed that you were asking for hitting AND pitching. Well, all my answers are just for batters.
        A couple of corrections/amendments
        1. In the 20th century, Nap Lajoie was the first in 1901.
        2. Rogers Hornsby won in 22 and 25. Williams in 42 and 47.
        5. Williams did it in 42. Gehrig in 34 and Hornsby in 25 also did it.

I must admit I had to look up the answers to 5. But I knew 1 and 2 without looking.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
        Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

As for pitchers, I know the last two were Santana and Peavy. Other than that I would have to research it. My guess is that Clemens has at least 1 with the Red Sox, maybe more. Walter Johnson probably won more than 1. Same with Koufax. Sandy may have won 3.

Holy Cow

Comment

Am I right that Pete Alexander has won four?

Comment

Originally posted by gojays View Post
              Am I right that Pete Alexander has won four?
              Good call. He won three straight in 1915-17, then again in 1920. Johnson and Koufax each won 3. Clemens won 2 but neither one was with the Sox. I thought he may have won in 86.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post

SorryI have not answered yet guys. i wanted to wait it out a bit. Sonce their aren't many replies I'll give the answers:

1) Tommy Bond in 1877 for the Boston Braves
                2) Pete Alexander with 4
                3) Tip O'Neil in 1887 for the St. Louis Browns
                4) Four (1901 Cy Young, 1942 Ted Williams, 1947 ted Williams, 1967 Carl Yastzemski)
                5) Sandy koufax (all 3 of his led the MLB)
                "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X