True or False quiz: baseball stadiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or False quiz: baseball stadiums

This is a true or false quiz about general baseball. Answer all 5 correctly then another set of true/false questions emerge: if it is false, change it so it is true.

Round 1: General baseball

1. True/False: Connie Mack Stadium was renamed Shibe Park.
    2. True/False: Wade Boggs' 3,000th hit was a home run.
    3. True/False: There was a fight in the 1973 NLCS at Shea Stadium between Pete Rose and Bud Harrelson.
    4. True/False: George Bell got Cito Gaston fired in 1989 due to refusing to DH him.
    5. True/False: Roger Maris had stole 22 bases in his entire career.

1. False: Connie Mack Stadium was renamed Shibe Park.
    2. True: Wade Boggs' 3,000th hit was a home run.
    3. True: There was a fight in the 1973 NLCS at Shea Stadium between Pete Rose and Bud Harrelson.
    4. False: George Bell got Cito Gaston fired in 1989 due to refusing to DH him.
    5. False: Roger Maris had stole 22 bases in his entire career.

1. False – Shribe Park was Renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953.
    2. True - a 6th inning home run off Celveland’s Chris Haney
    3. True – Game three
    4. False – Gaston took over from Jimmy Williams in 1989
    5. False – he had 21
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

1. True/False: The curveball was invented in 1883 by Brooklyn Excelsior William Cummings.
      2. True/False: Joe Jackson and seven other players were banished from baseball in 1919.
      3. True/False: Johnny Vander Meer holds the NL record for most no-hitters in a season
      4. True/False: George Scott won 1966 Rookie of the Year honours.
      5. True/False: Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's all-time hit record with a single to left-center field in San Diego.
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
        1. True/False: The curveball was invented in 1883 by Brooklyn Excelsior William Cummings.
        2. True/False: Joe Jackson and seven other players were banished from baseball in 1919.
        3. True/False: Johnny Vander Meer holds the NL record for most no-hitters in a season
        5. True/False: Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's all-time hit record with a single to left-center field in San Diego.
        1. False. I'm pretty sure it was invented earlier.
        2. False. I think Hal Chase and Heinie Zimmerman were banned as well, but I'm not going to look it up.
        3. True. Or at least he's tied for it.
        4. I'll let someone else answer this, because I'm not looking any of these up.
        5. False. It was against San Diego, but I think it was a home game.

Comment

Originally Posted by runningshoes53
          1. Probably false, but who knows. He's the first to be tested doing it and Lord knows he took credit for inventing it, but that's just the sort of self-promotion that suggests to me he didn't do. One Fred Goldsmith claimed he threw several years earlier.
          2. False, they were banished later.
          3. True, Vander Meer. Allie Reynolds, Virgil Trucks, and Nolan Ryan each had two in one season, but in the AL. Side note: Jim Maloney had two in one season in the 60's, but he lost one in the tenth inning, so it doesn't count.
          4. False. Tommy Agee of the White Sox won it that year.
          5. False. It was a home game, against Eric Show of the Padres.

Okay, I'll go ahead and claim credit for both answering the questions (jumping on the shoulders of Maple Syrup Man) and writing The DaVinci Code, and post some questions of my own:

1. True/False: Jackie Robinson retired when he discovered that he'd been traded to the Yankees.
          2. True/False: Chuck Hiller was the first national leaguer to hit a grand slam in the World Series.
          3. True/False: Randy Velarde of the A's was the last major leaguer to perform an unassisted triple play, in 2000.
          4. True/False: Ernie Broglio's claim to fame is that he was the player traded from the Cardinals to the Giants for Orlando Cepeda.
          5. True/False: HiddenGem's first major league home run was off Joaquin Benoit.
          Last edited by Ursa Major; 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM.
          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursa Major
            1. Probably false, but who knows. He's the first to be tested doing it and Lord knows he took credit for inventing it, but that's just the sort of self-promotion that suggests to me he didn't do. One Fred Goldsmith claimed he threw several years earlier.
            Didn't Candy Cummings lay claim to the curveball as well?

Comment

Didn't Candy Cummings lay claim to the curveball as well?
              The William Cummings referred to in the question IS "Candy" Cummings. Goldsmith claimed he'd preceded Cummings in throwing it.
              sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

The William Cummings referred to in the question IS "Candy" Cummings. Goldsmith claimed he'd preceded Cummings in throwing it.
                He even had the newspaper articles to prove it! But either way, the answer is false. He invented it in 1882, if he invented it at all.

Comment

I take back the above post. The answer is false, but not for the reason I specified. Candy Cummings was not playing in the major leagues in 1883!

Comment

Yes I believe Candy Cummings discovered the curveball in the 1860's or 1870's. played in the majors 1872-77 until he took the job as minor leauge commissioner(or some other positon not completley sure). Supposedley he did it on a sea shell when he was a kid and then tryed it in a game. "purest" of baseball back in the day did not approve of the curveball and thought it was cheating.
                    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

1.False: Jackie Robinson retired when he discovered that he'd been traded to the Yankees.
                      (to the giants)

2. True: Chuck Hiller was the first national leaguer to hit a grand slam in the World Series.

3. False: Randy Velarde of the A's was the last major leaguer to perform an unassisted triple play, in 2000.
                      (Rafael Furcal 2003)

4. False: Ernie Broglio's claim to fame is that he was the player traded from the Cardinals to the Giants for Orlando Cepeda.
                      (Never played on the Giants. Ray Sedecki was traded for Orlando Cepeda)

5. True: HiddenGem's first major league home run was off Joaquin Benoit.
                      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Excellent RedSoxVT92! Yup, who could believe Robinson as a Giant? And Chuck Hiller as a home run hitter? The Velarde question was a trick for those who might have thought to look it up at the Baseball Almanac, as for some reason they haven't updated the Unassisted Triple Play list. And Broglio's claim to fame was for being traded by the Cardinals to the Cubs for Lou Brock -- another steal by the Cards, so to speak. And note that I said that the home run was HiddenGem's first; we're expecting more.

So, RedSoxVT92, you're up with your true-false questions.
                        Last edited by Ursa Major; 03-28-2006, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Ha! I completely overlooked that and just looked at Goldsmith... remember those tests that would say "read all instructions before beginning"?

I think I should have paid more attention to them...

Comment

I knew I should have put first and only.

True/False: The fastest pitch recorded was thrown by Bob Gibson in 1968 at 100.8 MPH.
                            True/False: The only number one draft pick not to make it to the majors was Brien Taylor.
                            True/False: Cy Young got his 500th win in Boston.
                            True/False: Yogi Berra has played in the most world series games at 75 games.
                            True/False: In 1909 Bill Bergen Hit only 3 extra base hits.
                            go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

5. False. It was a home game, against Eric Show of the Padres.
                              Sorry to nitpick, but as I've mentioned before, it is my only real skill. Rose got hit 4192 off Eric Show in Cincinnati, at the time it was believed that Cobb had 4191 career hits. As we know, Cobb lost 2 hits, so Rose actually broke the record several days earlier in Chicago.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X