Holy Whale RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Whale RR

What pitcher in a single season with a minimum of twenty decisions played the most games at other positions??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

I have 65 for Doc Crandall in 1914. Seems like a lot, but I don't know if it's the most.

Comment

On further review, I have Ruth with 72 in 1918.

Comment

Damn, I specifically meant to exclude the Babe. As asked that is correct.

Now let's try "with more than 20 decisions" as the criteria. No, It was not Doc Crandall.

Comment

Completely random guess: Dave Foutz in 1884? He was 41-17 or something, and I know he started in the outfield when he didn't pitch.

Comment

In the years Foutz would have had enough decisions he didn't play that much in the field.

Comment

Harry Howell in 1902 played in 71 games in a non-pitching capacity (batting .268 and hitting 11 triples [for tenth place in that category]), and also had a 9 and 15 record as a pitcher.
              sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Harry Howell, indeed!

Comment

Somebody could have figured that out just from the thread title.

Comment

MapleSyrupMan said: Somebody could have figured that out just from the thread title.
                    But, you didn't, didja? :o Certainly that was the starting point for me, but I began with Wally, but having two "H"'s in the last name was not likely without a "t" or a "c". So, I worked my way around to Harry and then so on.
                    sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Some people like my little "puzzle within a puzzle" and others hate them.

Comment

Harry Howell is incorrect. Excluding Babe Ruth who by the way doesn't have the most either there are two players with more games at other positions and one who is tied with Harry Howell.

Comment

Ubiquitous said: Harry Howell is incorrect. Excluding Babe Ruth who by the way doesn't have the most either there are two players with more games at other positions and one who is tied with Harry Howell.
                          You're taking away my medal for getting the intended answer!??! Dang... I feel like a Ukrainian woman shotputter after the drug test results came back!

KCGhost said: Some people like my little "puzzle within a puzzle" and others hate them.
                          Oh, I love 'em, particularly when there is no other way to drill down for an answer. Keep 'em coming. . .

Comment

This question is still unanswered and in fact the answer to this question is rather obvious.

Comment

91 by Doc Crandall in 1914?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X