no-hit, no field ... only a pinch runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no-hit, no field ... only a pinch runner

how many players besides Ralph Gagliano* appeared in a major league game only as a pinch runner and never played the field or was announced as a hitter?

*Ralph pinch-ran for Larry Brown at first base in the ninth inning with one out and the Indians down 9-4. he was quickly eliminated on a force out. Would take a wild guess and say that his career was interrupted by service in Vietnam http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=gaglia001ral Would also add that his brother Phil was notoriously slow afoot. So I wonder if this was a "mercy" PR? Ralph only hit .226 in class A ball in 1964. Wonder why he was even called up? was he with the Indians the entire 1965 season?? he was only signed as an amateur free-agent (in 64). Weird one for me.
    Last edited by Brownieand45sfan; 03-10-2012, 04:49 PM.

I think Herb Washington appeared as a PR for Oakland in 1974 and 1975.

Comment

BR has him as a Designated Hitter

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
        BR has him as a Designated Hitter
        True, but he never batted. The rule states that a substitute for the DH becomes the DH. I think it is ridiculous how they score that. When someone pinchhits for the DH, it counts as a pinch-hitting appearance. When someone runs for the DH, it should be PR-DH, not just DH. The encyclopedias have not been consistent on how they list guys like Washington.

Comment

Gary Hargis of the 1979 Pirates is another.
          "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
          Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Comment

Bob Powell, Eddie Phillips, Doug Hansen, John Corriden, and Jack Cassini are some others.

Comment

As are Ivan Bigler and Otis Davis.
              "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
              Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Comment

Red Daughters is another.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X