3-4-5 and out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4-5 and out

Was thinking about final seasons and did a little poking around. Only three players since 1876 have posted .300/.400/.500 (batting, OBP, slugging) in their final seasons with enough PA to qualify for the league batting title. Their names are?

1) Shoeless Joe Jackson
    2) Will Clark
    3) Dave Orr

If you lower the requirement to minimum 400 PA, one more name gets added to the list, and that is?

4)

If you lower it to minimum 300 PA, yet another name gets added to the list, and that name is?

5) Ted Williams

If you're feeling lucky, I'll go further- you have to lower it way down to a minumum of 150 PA to get another name on the list, and that name would be?

6) Ken Williams

As always, please no cheating. It's more fun when people just guess or take a good stab at it.

Buzz
    Last edited by Buzzaldrin; 04-19-2012, 05:22 AM.
    "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

The two that come to mind right now are Ted Williams who may not have qualified, but I'm pretty sure he had 400 and Joe Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
      The two that come to mind right now are Ted Williams who may not have qualified, but I'm pretty sure he had 400 and Joe Jackson.
      Jackson is one of the top three. Williams is number five, actually, he had 390 PA in 1960. I'll fill in the blanks, sir.
      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Will Clark has got to be one of them. I remember him putting up fantastic numbers when he was traded to St Louis during his final season. Wish he wouldn't have retired while still in his prime. Otherwise he might be in the Hall of Fame.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Maybe Kirby Puckett?
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Will Clark is indeed on the list.

Puckett didn't make .400 OBP his final season, but for the third guy at the top of the list you're thinking along the right lines, i.e. someone whose career ended abruptly and tragically.

Comment

Might Lyman Bostock be one?
              Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

He might, but he's not. Good guess though.

Comment

The other three are (I think) pretty tough. I'm willing to drop hints.

Comment

Roberto Clemente?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
                      Will Clark is indeed on the list.

Puckett didn't make .400 OBP his final season, but for the third guy at the top of the list you're thinking along the right lines, i.e. someone whose career ended abruptly and tragically.

Ed Delahanty? I know he was great in his last full season but not sure how much he played in the very last one.

Comment

Lefty O'doul?

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
                          Lefty O'doul?
                          I posted a quiz regarding O`Doul recently(about having more homers than SO in his last season)and thought of him immediately.He fits the bill(for the 150 PA) EXCEPT his OBP was .383.
                          Last edited by Nimrod; 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Williams is the answer to the 150 PA.But it is KEN Williams(not Ted).I have a feeling that the other answers are mostly pre-1900 players.
                            Last edited by Nimrod; 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Ken Williams 1929 season is indeed the answer to number 6. Clemente does not fill the bill (but good guess).

Nimrod- one of the remaining two is pre 1900, but let's be clear: it was ridiculously hard to post a .500 slugging percentage back then, so this was a pretty monster final season since it's the only one pre 1920 that makes the list.

The other one is quite recent- in fact it's within the past 15 years.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X