Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grissom Steals 2nd, takes 3rd, on Ball Four?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grissom Steals 2nd, takes 3rd, on Ball Four?

I am trying to figure out what happened on this play: The Game Log at B-Ref says: in the 1st inning, with Bonds at the plate:

"Walk, Grissom Steals 2B; Grissom to 3B"

B-R is pretty good about not having data errors, but this one baffles me.
    UI2
    BTB

Could he have stolen 2nd base before the pitch was thrown, and then advanced to third after ball four got away from the catcher? That's the only thing I can think of.

Or, it could just be an error, like you said. I've found 3 or 4 errors myself, which probably means there are many more to be found.

Comment

The line above it doesn't make a lot of sense, either. Tucker is on first, and scores on Grissom's single? Advanced on the throw?

As far as I can see it, there was a hit and run, and Tucker went to third on the hit by Grissom. The only thing that makes sense is that Grissom tried to take second, saw a good throw coming in and retreated. The Rays tried to nail Grissom at first, didn't get him, and Tucker scored...

As far as Grissom going to third, could it be that the Rays fell asleep while giving Bonds an unintentional/intentional walk? Grissom stole third, and it was called defensive indifference?

Comment

It is poorly worded. Grissom was stealing on the pitch to Bonds, which turned out to be ball four. With the shift on, Grissom saw that he could reach third and kept running. He stole one base on the play, but that base is third. Despite running on the pitch, he was forced to second when the pitch to Bonds was ball four.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
          Could he have stolen 2nd base before the pitch was thrown, and then advanced to third after ball four got away from the catcher? That's the only thing I can think of.

Or, it could just be an error, like you said. I've found 3 or 4 errors myself, which probably means there are many more to be found.
          If Grissom had stolen 2nd before the pitch was thrown it would be listed as a separate event.

It's probably an error, if you say you've found a few in the past. I didn't realize they were so commonplace.

Originally posted by Macker View Post
          It is poorly worded. Grissom was stealing on the pitch to Bonds, which turned out to be ball four. With the shift on, Grissom saw that he could reach third and kept running. He stole one base on the play, but that base is third. Despite running on the pitch, he was forced to second when the pitch to Bonds was ball four.
          If the pitch was ball 4 then Grissom could not be awarded a SB then. You can't steal second on a walk.

Originally posted by Gee Walker View Post
          The line above it doesn't make a lot of sense, either. Tucker is on first, and scores on Grissom's single? Advanced on the throw?

As far as I can see it, there was a hit and run, and Tucker went to third on the hit by Grissom. The only thing that makes sense is that Grissom tried to take second, saw a good throw coming in and retreated. The Rays tried to nail Grissom at first, didn't get him, and Tucker scored...

As far as Grissom going to third, could it be that the Rays fell asleep while giving Bonds an unintentional/intentional walk? Grissom stole third, and it was called defensive indifference?
          Retrosheet shows that there was a throw from the CF to the 1B, who then threw home. So that is likely what happened.

I'm not so concerned with how Grissom got to 3rd, but that he is awarded an SB for 2nd.
          UI2
          BTB

Comment

Originally posted by JDanger View Post
            If the pitch was ball 4 then Grissom could not be awarded a SB then. You can't steal second on a walk.
            I didn't say he did. Grissom was credited with one steal, and that was a steal of third on this play. Like I said, the PBP is poorly worded.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X