Most Career... Pit vs. Bat - Pit & Cat - Pit vs. Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Career... Pit vs. Bat - Pit & Cat - Pit vs. Pit

All I have are tentative answers here. Hoping someone knows for sure.

Most career PA between a Pitcher and a Batter.
    I suspect Ty Cobb vs. Walter Johnson (AL) - Stan Musial vs. Warren Spahn (NL)

Most career games started by Battery mates.
    I suspect Mickey Lolich and Bill Freehan (AL) - No decent guess for (NL)

Most career head to head starts between 2 pitchers
    Toss up amongst - Sutton, Neikro, Seaver, Carlton (NL) - (AL) ???

Pitcher vs. Batter...

How about Pete Rose and Phil Niekro? Or we can go with the idea that teams used to play each other 22 times a year, and that could lead us to someone like Stan Musial and Warren Spahn, sure. That's probably correct. The American League guess of Cobb v. Johnson is as good as any.

The Battery question is also a good one.

Roy Oswalt and Brad Ausmus?
    Jack Morris and Lance Parrish?
    Guy Bush or Charlie Root and Gabby Hartnett?

Almost all of the catchers on the all time "games played" list moved around.

Some did so alot. I wonder if a pitcher moved around with the catcher, and they have the record...

The Head to Head question is also a good one. Your idea of the 1970s probably correct. Nolan Ryan changed leagues three times, so he is likely out. Sutton and Niekro would get my vote. I really have no idea on that one, but the Braves and Dodgers were in the same division for many years.

What about Spahn and Robin Roberts? One of those guys and Bob Friend?
    Your Second Base Coach
    Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Well, the record for most hits by one batter vs. one pitcher is Rose vs. Niekro, so it stands to reason that they have the record for most PA too.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by fabio61 View Post
        All I have are tentative answers here. Hoping someone knows for sure.

Most career PA between a Pitcher and a Batter.
        I suspect Ty Cobb vs. Walter Johnson (AL) - Stan Musial vs. Warren Spahn (NL)

Most career games started by Battery mates.
        I suspect Mickey Lolich and Bill Freehan (AL) - No decent guess for (NL)

Most career head to head starts between 2 pitchers
        Toss up amongst - Sutton, Neikro, Seaver, Carlton (NL) - (AL) ???
        I made a quiz of the first one a while back (here). Rose and Niekro have the most PA between them (266) among players from 1950-2010. There isn't enough data from before then.
        *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

An old Baseball Digest article (Dec 1991) detailed the Musial-Spahn career numbers.

Musial went 106-329 with 192 TB, 54 walks and 29 Ks.

The article doesn't say whether it's the NL (or ML) record for most head to head PAs.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
            Well, the record for most hits by one batter vs. one pitcher is Rose vs. Niekro, so it stands to reason that they have the record for most PA too.
            That's probably 1950-present only. BR says Rose only had 64 hits vs. Niekro. 266 PAs.

Musial/Spahn have more, as do Honus Wagner vs. Christy Mathewson (.324, 86 games, 327 AB, 106 hits - supposedly).

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
              That's probably 1950-present only. BR says Rose only had 64 hits vs. Niekro. 266 PAs.

Musial/Spahn have more, as do Honus Wagner vs. Christy Mathewson (.324, 86 games, 327 AB, 106 hits - supposedly).
              You're right. The only reason I had that factoid in my head was because of DJC's Sporcle quiz :-)
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment