Lowest WAR, 20+ years in the Majors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest WAR, 20+ years in the Majors?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, and I don't know the answer, but can anyone tell me who has the lowest career WAR with a 20+-year Major League career?

Baseball-Reference shows the Top 1000, and the lowest on the list with over 20 years is Rick Dempsey, who played 24 years and had 23.1 WAR. I have to believe someone out there had an even lower total, though (perhaps a relief pitcher or something), I just don't know who. Can anyone find the answer?
    Baseball Junk Drawer

I'm gonna go with Terry Mulholland at 10.2. Don't know if it's correct, though. My first thought was that it would be a relief pitcher like Arthur Rhodes or somebody.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Lowest I could find was Luke Sewell with a 1.1 WAR over 20 years. Jay Johnstone was the lowest non-catcher I found at 14.6 WAR.

Terry Mulholland had a 10.2 WAR, which was the lowest I could find for a pitcher.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Wow! Nice finds guys! Luke Sewell's 1.1 is tough to beat. Given the managerial career he would have, I'm guessing Sewell was kept around more for leadership than playing ability.
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
          Jay Johnstone was the lowest non-catcher I found at 14.6 WAR.
          Manny Mota is close at 16.1. Tom Prince, who only played 17 years, is still notable due to his astonishingly low 0.1 WAR.

EDIT: Kid Gleason beats Mota and Johnstone with a mark of 6.1. He played 22 years in the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
            Manny Mota is close at 16.1. Tom Prince, who only played 17 years, is still notable due to his astonishingly low 0.1 WAR.

EDIT: Kid Gleason beats Mota and Johnstone with a mark of 6.1. He played 22 years in the big leagues.
            The only issue with Gleason is that the 6.1 doesn't take his first 7 seasons as a pitcher into account. At least I don't think it does.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
              The only issue with Gleason is that the 6.1 doesn't take his first 7 seasons as a pitcher into account. At least I don't think it does.
              That's a good point.

Comment

Bob Kennedy was -5.5 war in 16 or 17 seasons. He woulda had 20 years but he missed time during World War 2.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ed Kranepool is @ 2.2 for 18 seasons.

Comment

Bill Bergen had a -14.8 in 11 years.If he could have made it to 20 seasons there is no telling how low his WAR would have been!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X