Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WAR, what is it good for? (MVP votes question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR, what is it good for? (MVP votes question)

Here's a good question for ya....

I went as far back as World War Two... so since then (maybe even further back)...

I found players who earned some MVP votes while sporting a negative WAR.

And it's possible to finish in the top ELEVEN in voting, and it happened twice since World War Two.

While naming names would be a good question in and of itself, there is an odd twist to the tale.

Supplying the answer here will in turn explain why I thought the solution was even more unusual than one might expect.

Good luck, and no cheating!
    Your Second Base Coach
    Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Norm Cash. Maury Wills. Ron Kittle.
    Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

Frank Thomas
      Tony Perez
      Dave Giusti
      Darrell Porter
      Carl Furillo
      Benito Santiago
      Ruben Sierra
      Harvey Kuenn
      Vlad Guerrero
      Hal McRae

I know for a fact that Del Ennis and Bobby Richardson are on the list
      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

And these lists are "without cheating"?

Comment

Im going to guess Joe Carter

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
            And these lists are "without cheating"?
            Impossible. No one has that kind of knowledge of negative war seasons offhand.

Comment

I read all of the names listed so far, and they are not what I am looking for... two cases of someone finishing in the top 11 of the league MVP vote, with a negative WAR, since WW2 (as that was as far back as I looked the other day).

And, no, no one has hinted they knew what I was talking about when I typed the answer was quite unusual to me.
              Your Second Base Coach
              Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.

Comment

I see there is a lack of response here, so let me provide you with the answers.

Without detail, the player in question is Dave Parker,

both times,

in different leagues.

I found that to be quite interesting, even having already known that a lot of RBIs will get you a lot of MVP votes.
                Your Second Base Coach

Comment

I was going to guess Dante Bichette.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X