Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Negative WAR Seasons - BBWAA HOFers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most Negative WAR Seasons - BBWAA HOFers

    This shouldn't be too hard...

    Which HOFers voted in by the BBWAA have the most total negative WAR seasons?
    Please list by career position most often associated with (I know there can be some grey areas regarding positioning, but I think I did a pretty good job).

    Note: Someone like Biggio's years at C would count toward his overall career count, even if listed as a 2B.

    Note: Does not include pWAR for position players
    Note: Includes ONLY pWAR for pitchers

    P - Herb Pennock - 7
    C - Carlton Fisk - 3
    1 - Harmon Killebrew - 5
    2 (3 way tie) - Roberto Alomar, Napoleon Lajoie, Rogers Hornsby - 2
    SS - Rabbit Maranville - 5
    3 - Brooks Robinson - 4
    RF - Andre Dawson - 5
    CF - Duke Snider - 2
    LF - Lou Brock - 3
    DH - Paul Molitor - 2
    Last edited by dgarza; 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM.

  • #2
    Only player off the top of my head might be Herb Pennock. I thought maybe Lloyd Waner until I saw they had to be BBWAA entries.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

    Comment


    • #3
      There is no plate appearance/IP minimum?
      I'll go on a limb Alomar 2B

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll guess Reggie Jackson (RF?), Brooks Robinson (3B) and Cal Ripken (SS).
        My top 10 players:

        1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
          Only player off the top of my head might be Herb Pennock.
          Yes, he's one. 7 of his 22 seasons were of Negative pWAR, 31.8% of his career.
          I thought maybe Lloyd Waner until I saw they had to be BBWAA entries.
          Yeah, I figured that since so many non-BBWAA inductees are often considered "mistakes", that it would not be as interesting to include them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
            There is no plate appearance/IP minimum?
            No min.
            I'll go on a limb Alomar 2B
            Yes, he's one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              I'll guess Reggie Jackson (RF?), Brooks Robinson (3B) and Cal Ripken (SS).
              Yes, for Brooks Robinson.

              Comment


              • #8
                duplicate post

                Comment


                • #9
                  DH should be somewhat easy considering the smaller window of possibilities. How about somebody like Eddie Murray late in his career?
                  "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                    DH should be somewhat easy considering the smaller window of possibilities. How about somebody like Eddie Murray late in his career?
                    Not Eddie Murray. He's not often associated with the DH role for his career position.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                      Not Eddie Murray. He's not often associated with the DH role for his career position.
                      Very true. Then again, I can't think of anybody in who is known primarily as a DH. Does he work at 1B? Or maybe George Sisler, though he may have been a VC pick. :stumped:
                      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                        Very true. Then again, I can't think of anybody in who is known primarily as a DH. Does he work at 1B? Or maybe George Sisler, though he may have been a VC pick. :stumped:
                        Neither one for 1B.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My head just exploded.

                          The DH slot is killing me. It should be simple, but I can't think of any player who's in that had DH as a truly known position other than Murray late in his career.

                          One last shot at 1B. How about Tony Perez - even though he did play 3B for a few seasons...
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post

                            One last shot at 1B. How about Tony Perez - even though he did play 3B for a few seasons...
                            Perez is a real good guess. He had 4 such seasons, but there is another player associated with 1B who had 5 such seasons.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                              Perez is a real good guess. He had 4 such seasons, but there is another player associated with 1B who had 5 such seasons.
                              You're killing me I have no clue other than trying to look things up and that takes away from the fun. I did my best and mostly failed lol.
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X