Most titles by a non Yankee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Gotta give Gene Tenace "The Menace" an honorable mention here ('72-'74 A's, '82 Cardinals)! All 4 of his World Series teams won.
    Mike Timlin too. Went to 4 World Series, two with Toronto in the 92 and 93 and two with Boston in 04 and 07 and won all four.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      I dont see any of them playing on 5 WS champion teams.

looking at Maxvill now I only see him playing on 1964, 1967 and 1974 WS teams.
      Baseball reference in their WS champs list:

Barry for championships in 1910, 1911, 1913, 1915, , and 1916
      McInnis for championships 1910, 1911, 1913, 1918, and 1925
      Maxvill for championships in 1964, 1967, 1972, 1973, and 1974.

Double checking, those players did play on those teams. They are all actually more legit than Collins and his 9 AB in 1929 and 3 AB in 1930 ( which of course, techically count for him as championship seasons).
      This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
        Baseball reference in their WS champs list:

Barry for championships in 1910, 1911, 1913, 1915, , and 1916
        McInnis for championships 1910, 1911, 1913, 1918, and 1925
        Maxvill for championships in 1964, 1967, 1972, 1973, and 1974.

Double checking, those players did play on those teams. They are all actually more legit than Collins and his 9 AB in 1929 and 3 AB in 1930 ( which of course, techically count for him as championship seasons).
        Though Maxvill played for the A's 1972-75, he was not with the A's during the 1973 post-season. He went to the Pirates in midseason of 1973 & returned during the 1974 season.

Jack Barry missed the final 35 games of the 1916 season due to injury and was not on the post-season roster.
        Though McInnnis was with the Athletics for the entire 1910 season, he played only 38 games and did not appear in the World Series.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
          Though Maxvill played for the A's 1972-75, he was not with the A's during the 1973 post-season. He went to the Pirates in midseason of 1973 & returned during the 1974 season.
          Right- Maxvill played on winning WS teams in 64 (StL vs NYY), 67 (StL vs Bos), 74 (Oak vs LAD). He was on the 72 Oakland As team but did not play in the 72 Series- I don't know if he was on the active roster.

He also played for StL in the 68 Series, losing to Detroit.

So, Maxvill actually played in the World Series for 3 winning teams- not 5: StL 64, StL 67, Oakland 74.

Comment

(duplicate post)
            Last edited by Nerdlinger; 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM.
            *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Jack Barry missed the final 35 games of the 1916 season due to injury and was not on the post-season roster.

Though McInnnis was with the Athletics for the entire 1910 season, he played only 38 games and did not appear in the World Series.
              Originally posted by BigRon View Post
              Right- Maxvill played on winning WS teams in 64 (StL vs NYY), 67 (StL vs Bos), 74 (Oak vs LAD). He was on the 72 Oakland As team but did not play in the 72 Series- I don't know if he was on the active roster.
              He also played for StL in the 68 Series, losing to Detroit.

So, Maxvill actually played in the World Series for 3 winning teams- not 5: StL 64, StL 67, Oakland 74.
              I’m well aware of all of this.

Baseball Reference lists all 3 with 5 rings in their championship count. However, they are all actually more legit than Collins and his 9 AB in 1929 and 3 AB in 1930. I don’t see how one can’t count Barry and McInnis for 5? Counting Maxvill in 73 is a stretch, but he did play on that team. Maxvill did bat 9 times in the 72 ALCS.
              This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

It sure doesn't seem like it.

Baseball Reference lists all 3 with 5 rings in their championship count.
                Which means nothing. Their Oracle / teammate counter includes players who weren't even on the team at the same time (including the players they were traded for.) Their list is ridiculous. Including 1973 for Maxvill is absurd.

Comment

Baseball Reference lists all 3 with 5 rings in their championship count. However, they are all actually more legit than Collins and his 9 AB in 1929 and 3 AB in 1930. I don’t see how one can’t count Barry and McInnis for 5? Counting Maxvill in 73 is a stretch, but he did play on that team. Maxvill did bat 9 times in the 72 ALCS.
                  I don't think it matters what BB-REF says in this case. Maxvill DID NOT play in the 72 World Series- perhaps he was on the roster, so IF he was he could be credited with being part of the team- not playing in the WS. however.

BUT, in 1973, as Macker said, Maxvill was traded away in mid-season. He was not a member of the team at playoff time. THe As players MAY have decided to give him a partial WS share- I don't know this- but this doesn't make him a member of the World Series winning team.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                    I don't think it matters what BB-REF says in this case.
                    Besides, the wording above the list isn't even accurate:
                    "Please note that this does not measure how many times the player was on the roster during the WS of a World Series winner. It only measures if they appeared for that team at some point and then if they appeared in the WS that year for the winning team."

Plus, the link on the leaderboard to get you to the list says "Most Championship Rings," and they didn't always get rings. Some years they had a choice of items and selected watch fobs, medallions, or other things.

Anyway, George Wright has five championships.

Comment

I did some database checking, and among players who never played for the Yankees, Eddie Collins holds the record for playing the most seasons on World Series winning teams with 6 (regardless of whether or not he actually played in the World Series). Barry, Maxvill, and McInnis are indeed the only other players with at least 5.

If you consider only guys who actually play in the World Series, there are 10 players tied for the record of 4 seasons. Barry, Collins, and McInnis are three of them (not Maxvill, though). Frisch, Tenace, and Timlin are three others who have already been mentioned here. Can anyone guess the last four without cheating?
                      *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Frankie Frisch

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                          I did some database checking, and among players who never played for the Yankees, Eddie Collins holds the record for playing the most seasons on World Series winning teams with 6 (regardless of whether or not he actually played in the World Series). Barry, Maxvill, and McInnis are indeed the only other players with at least 5.

If you consider only guys who actually play in the World Series, there are 10 players tied for the record of 4 seasons. Barry, Collins, and McInnis are three of them (not Maxvill, though). Frisch, Tenace, and Timlin are three others who have already been mentioned here. Can anyone guess the last four without cheating?
                          None of em played for a Yankee Champion team?
                          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Harry Hooper 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918.

I'm guessing theres at least one more from those Redsox teams.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Frankie Frisch
                              Yes, but he was already mentioned.

None of em played for a Yankee Champion team?
                              Nope.

Harry Hooper 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918.

I'm guessing theres at least one more from those Redsox teams.
                              Hooper is one of the four. Three to go.

Comment

Curt Schilling had 4.

1 with Philly, 1 with Arizona, and 2 with Boston. And maaan was he a postseason performer.
                                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X