X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by Macker View Post
    Johnny Podres was on the post-season roster in 1965; he just didn't play in the World Series.
    Can you find that on baseball reference?

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    Johnny Podres was on the post-season roster in 1965; he just didn't play in the World Series.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by DJC View Post
    You got it. Only one to go.
    Yeah i've been thinking of players and checking em as I go otherwise i'd have 20 extra posts on here. I remembered Amos Strunk from a draft we did recently.

Leave a comment:

• Nerdlinger
    replied
    Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Amos Strunk was another 4 player WS winner guy.
    You got it. Only one to go.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Amos Strunk was another 4 player WS winner guy.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    I really searched and cannot find rosters. My guess is that he on, but didn't play. BTW, 1965 is the only 7 game WS where all 7 WP threw complete games.
    Thats interesting, That really makes me wonder if he was at least in the dugout during the WS. I would have t think he had a roster spot in that WS but again it's hard to get in games with Koufax and Drysdale.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Apologies, I flipped the years when I wrote that. He also played for the Dodgers in '66 but was traded before they reached the series and lost to the O's.
    I flipped them too. I was thinking of 66 when they lost and left off 53, when he pitched but they lost.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    He had a halfway decent year but I would have to guess he made the WS roster and never got in a game. Unless he got injured.
    I really searched and cannot find rosters. My guess is that he on, but didn't play. BTW, 1965 is the only 7 game WS where all 7 WP threw complete games.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Thanks- that was a typo by me. I saw every game of the 65 Series. I didn't realize (or remember) that he wasn't on the WS roster in 65. Are you sure about this? Podres had a lot of arm trouble around 64-65-66, so maybe that was the issue in 65?
    He had a halfway decent year but I would have to guess he made the WS roster and never got in a game. Unless he got injured.

Leave a comment:

• Nerdlinger
    replied
    He left the Dodgers and played wit the Tigers in 1966.

1965 i'm kinda curious if he was on the WS roster. Baseball Reference I don't think tells who was on the WS rosters.
    Yeah, I edited that. BB-Ref doesn't have the rosters, just who played.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Apologies, I flipped the years when I wrote that. He also sat in '66, when the Dodgers lost.
    He left the Dodgers and played wit the Tigers in 1966.

1965 i'm kinda curious if he was on the WS roster. Baseball Reference I don't think tells who was on the WS rosters.

Leave a comment:

• BigRon
    replied
    He was on a winning 65 LA team but did not pitch. I wonder why he wasn't on the WS roster though.

1966 he pitched briefly for the Dodgers. They lost to the Orioles that year.
    Thanks- that was a typo by me. I saw every game of the 65 Series. I didn't realize (or remember) that he wasn't on the WS roster in 65. Are you sure about this? Podres had a lot of arm trouble around 64-65-66, so maybe that was the issue in 65?

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Actually I wonder if Podres was on the 1965 WS roster. Having Koufax and Drysdale probably kept him out of the series.

Leave a comment:

• Nerdlinger
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Let's set the record straight. True, Podres pitched in the Series for 3 winning teams, but he was an active member of 5 World Series teams.

He pitched in 53 for a losing Brooklyn team.
    He pitched in 55 for a winning Brooklyn team, and was WS MVP.
    He pitched in 59 for a winning LA team.
    He pitched in 63 for a winning LA team.
    He was on a losing LA team in 65 but did not pitch in the Series.
    Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
    Ummmm I believe Podres played in 55 . . . . uh twice.

It was 65 when he sat. (They should have at least pinch hit him. He hit .313 in the post season.)

Edit: Oh, he wasn't on the roster? I guess they knew it would be over quickly.
    Apologies, I flipped the years when I wrote that. He also played for the Dodgers in '66 but was traded before they reached the series and lost to the O's.
    Last edited by Nerdlinger; 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Podres is like Koufax: played on one WS-winner without playing in the WS itself ('55) and played in 3 WS on the winning side ('59, '63, '65).
    Ummmm I believe Podres played in 55 . . . . uh twice.

It was 65 when he sat. (They should have at least pinch hit him. He hit .313 in the post season.)

Edit: Oh, he wasn't on the roster? I guess they knew it would be over quickly.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X