First Black Player in the Big Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Black Player in the Big Leagues

With the 2nd annual Jackie Robinson day coming up, I have a nice little trivia question for everyone...

Who was the first black player in the big leagues, what year(s) did he play, what team did he play for?

Moses Fleetwood Walker
    Toledo Blue Stockings (AA)

His brother Welday was also on the Toledo roster that year.
    A swing--and a smash--and a gray streak partaking/Of ghostly manoeuvres that follow the whack;/The old earth rebounds with a quiver and quaking/And high flies the dust as he thuds on the track;/The atmosphere reels--and it isn't the comet--/There follows the blur of a phantom at play;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel--/And damned be the fellow that gets in the way.                 A swing and a smash--and the far echoes quiver--/A ripping and rearing and volcanic roar;/And off streaks the Ghost with a shake and a shiver,/To hurdle red hell on the way to a score;/A cross between tidal wave, cyclone and earthquake--/Fire, wind and water all out on a lark;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel,/Plus ten tons of dynamite hitched to a spark.

--Cobb, Grantland Rice

Comment

Very good, people seem to forget that there were numerous black players in the mid 1880s, before they were outlawed

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
        Very good, people seem to forget that there were numerous black players in the mid 1880s, before they were outlawed
        Define numerous
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by HitchedtoaSpark
          Moses Fleetwood Walker
          Toledo Blue Stockings (AA)

His brother Welday was also on the Toledo roster that year.
          The question was:
          Who was the first black player in the big leagues,
          If the Toledo Blue Stockings were a AA ballclub then that is not the "Big Leagues," is it? AA means minor leagues, right?

Therefore I say:
          Jackie Robinson
          Brooklyn Dodgers

Comment

Originally posted by Gaijin
            The question was:

If the Toledo Blue Stockings were a AA ballclub then that is not the "Big Leagues," is it? AA means minor leagues, right?

Therefore I say:
            Jackie Robinson
            Brooklyn Dodgers

AA is American Association, the big leagues
            "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacherbee
              AA is American Association, the big leagues
              Exactly. In that era, the American Association was considered a Major League. Today, "AA" is a level of Minor League Baseball, not a league designation.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Define numerous
                I'm not sure how many exactly, but 3 were on the Blue Stockings that season, Fleetwood and Welday Walker and George Washington Stovey... Stovey and Fleetwood Walker were the first all black battery mates, Stovey actually won 35 games that year and still holds the International League's record for most Ws

Comment

So is that the American League now?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaijin
                    So is that the American League now?
                    No, the old major-league AmAssoc broke up after the 1891 season ... some teams joined the National League, others just went out of business. The American League grew out of the minor Western League.

Comment

Who was the first black player in the big leagues, what year(s) did he play, what team did he play for?
                      It depends on how you define "black."

The answer could be William Edward White, who played in one game for Providence in 1879. White is the only major leaguer known to have been a former slave, according to the will of A.J. White found in Zebulan, Georgia. However, White was light enough to pass as "white," and described himself as white in the 1880 census.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS08/502070334

http://www.cubschronicle.com/wp/post...-black-player/

Comment

Very interesting article, thanks for the post

But, Since he classified himself as white in the census, I'll have to stick with Walker as the first black in the major leagues

Comment

I'm not sure how many exactly, but 3 were on the Blue Stockings that season, Fleetwood and Welday Walker and George Washington Stovey... Stovey and Fleetwood Walker were the first all black battery mates, Stovey actually won 35 games that year and still holds the International League's record for most Ws
                          Stovey never played a game in the majors, let alone was Walker's battery mate on the Blue Stockings.

Incidentally, Moses and Welday were the only blacks known to have played in the major leagues until Robinson's debut in 1947.
                          A swing--and a smash--and a gray streak partaking/Of ghostly manoeuvres that follow the whack;/The old earth rebounds with a quiver and quaking/And high flies the dust as he thuds on the track;/The atmosphere reels--and it isn't the comet--/There follows the blur of a phantom at play;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel--/And damned be the fellow that gets in the way.                 A swing and a smash--and the far echoes quiver--/A ripping and rearing and volcanic roar;/And off streaks the Ghost with a shake and a shiver,/To hurdle red hell on the way to a score;/A cross between tidal wave, cyclone and earthquake--/Fire, wind and water all out on a lark;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel,/Plus ten tons of dynamite hitched to a spark.

--Cobb, Grantland Rice

Comment

That didn't sound right to me, but according to this link: http://members.tripod.com/bb_catcher...ers/1black.htm it was, so went with it...

Soon, Walker had a black teammate, a fastball pitcher named George Washington Stovey whose skills were described by a rueful reporter in Birmingham, New York:

Well they put Stovey in the box again yesterday. You recollect Stovey, of course -- the brunette fellow with the sinister fin and the demonic delivery. Well, he pitched yesterday, and as of yore he teased the Bingos. He has a knack of tossing up balls that appear as large as an alderman's opinion of himself, but you cannot hit 'em with a cellar door. What's the use of bucking against a fellow that can throw at the flagstaff and make it curve into the water pail?
                            With Moses Fleetwood Walker catching George Washington Stovey, they became the very first black battery in organized baseball. That year Stovey won 35 games which is still a record in the International League.

Comment

Very interesting article, thanks for the post

But, Since he classified himself as white in the census, I'll have to stick with Walker as the first black in the major leagues
                              But there were places where he was classified as black. I wrote some from Total Baseball in another thread
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X