Who am I? game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Did you ever play with Ted Williams on the Red Sox?
    Yes, I did.

Comment

• Did you play in the World Series in the 1940s?
      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
        Did you play in the World Series in the 1940s?
        No, I did not.

Hint- During my post-season moment, I wore the same number as another player who had a post-season moment of his own.

Comment

• Was the majority of your career with the Red Sox?
          Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Was the majority of your career with the Red Sox?
            No, it was not.

Comment

• Originally posted by chinese home run View Post

No, it was not.
              Did you have a team in which you played 50%+ of your career (by PA's)?

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

• Did you play in the World Series with the Indians?
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Did you have a team in which you played 50%+ of your career (by PA's)?
                  No, I did not.

Comment

• Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                    Did you play in the World Series with the Indians?
                    Yes, I did.

Comment

• Vic Wertz?
                      27 World Championships
                      22 retired numbers
                      Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                      Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
                        Vic Wertz?
                        Yes, I am Vic Wertz. Here are the clues-
                        1) From the outhouse to the penthouse- In 1954, Wertz was traded from the Orioles, (Nee St. Louis Browns), one of the American League doormats, to the pennant-winning Indians.
                        2) Baptism under fire, in a way- When Wertz came over to the Indians, manager Al Lopez asked him to play first base. Wertz, who was an outfielder, had never played first base before.
                        3) Less Filling!.....During and after his playing days ended, Wertz owned a Miller Beer distributorship in suburban Detroit.
                        4) If it hadn't been for the fish that got away- In the first game of the 1954 World Series, Wertz had four hits- a triple, two singles, and a double- but was best known for his long drive that landed in Willie Mays's glove ("The Catch.") Had the ball gotten by Mays, Wertz would have set a WS record with five hits in a game. (As it turned out, Paul Molitor did it 28 years later with the Brewers.)
                        5) You can get something for nothing- Wertz, his trade value diminished after a slow start, was traded to the Indians for pitcher Bob Chakales, a spare part on their pitching-rich staff. He remained a spare part in Baltimore.
                        and, 6) During my post-season moment........... Wertz wore number 23 for the Indians, the same number that Bobby Thomson wore when he hit "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" three years earlier.

Good job!

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
                          Vic Wertz?
                          Sigh........

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post

1) From the outhouse to the penthouse- In 1954, Wertz was traded from the Orioles, (Nee St. Louis Browns), one of the American League doormats, to the pennant-winning Indians.
                          2) Baptism under fire, in a way- When Wertz came over to the Indians, manager Al Lopez asked him to play first base. Wertz, who was an outfielder, had never played first base before.
                          3) Less Filling!.....During and after his playing days ended, Wertz owned a Miller Beer distributorship in suburban Detroit.
                          4) If it hadn't been for the fish that got away- In the first game of the 1954 World Series, Wertz had four hits- a triple, two singles, and a double- but was best known for his long drive that landed in Willie Mays's glove ("The Catch.") Had the ball gotten by Mays, Wertz would have set a WS record with five hits in a game. (As it turned out, Paul Molitor did it 28 years later with the Brewers.)
                          5) You can get something for nothing- Wertz, his trade value diminished after a slow start, was traded to the Indians for pitcher Bob Chakales, a spare part on their pitching-rich staff. He remained a spare part in Baltimore.
                          and, 6) During my post-season moment........... Wertz wore number 23 for the Indians, the same number that Bobby Thomson wore when he hit "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" three years earlier.

Good job!
                          Good clues...I still wasn't on the right track, as I didn't know 2, 3, 5, 6. Didn't remember 1. Would have taken forever for me to get this one.
                          Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chinese home run View Post

Good job!
                            Once we narrowed it down to the Indians of that era that did not win the World Series, Wertz came to mind immediately based on what else I knew from the hints and answers.
                            27 World Championships
                            22 retired numbers

Comment

• Time for a new game!

I'm going to give you a chance to determine me with a single clue!

Hint: see photo. The photo says it all!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Were you a Captain in a war?
                                27 World Championships
                                22 retired numbers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X