No announcement yet.

Who am I? game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you play ten or more seasons with any of the franchises you played for?
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Did you ever play for a team that lost 100+ games in a season?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
      1969 1971 1979
      1973 1974 1997 2014
      1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

Comment

• Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
        Did you play ten or more seasons with any of the franchises you played for?
        Yes i did.
        27 World Championships
        22 retired numbers
        Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
        Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason R. Maier View Post
          Did you ever play for a team that lost 100+ games in a season?
          Yes I did.
          27 World Championships
          22 retired numbers

Comment

• Was the franchise you played ten or more seasons for the same franchise you debuted with?
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Was the franchise you played ten or more seasons for the same franchise you debuted with?
              Yes. It was.
              27 World Championships
              22 retired numbers

Comment

• I'll make another guess that I once guessed incorrectly in a different game: Are you Elmer Valo?
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'll make another guess that I once guessed incorrectly in a different game: Are you Elmer Valo?
                  This time it's a good guess. For i am Elmer Valo
                  hInts
                  Nomad-He played on 5 teams in 7 different cities. Notably he was with the A's both in Philadelphia and Kansas City, Dodgers in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, and the Senators/Twins in Washington and Minnesota, making the ,moves with those teams.
                  Expunged-As stated by Valo and confirmed by HOF sportswriter Red Smith, who was official scorer for the game, Valo played in a game for the A's in 1939 but his participation was expunged from the record because he was not part of the A's roster at the time, saving Connie Mack a potential fine.. Had this participation been official, Valo would have joined Williams, Wynn, and Mickey Vernon as 4 decade players from the 30s to the 60s.
                  Crash-He was known for crashing into outfield walls going after flyballs
                  In a pinch-He was a very good pinch hitter late in his career, setting a record for OBP as a pinch hitter
                  Foreigner-He was born in Czechoslavakia, in the part now known as Slovakia. As mentioned in another hint his birth name was Imrich.
                  One note on one of the questions and my answer. He played 8 games for the 1960 Yankees before being released and picked up by the Senators. So he did briefly play for a pennant winner, though he was not on their roster at season's end. Ironically he was with the Dodgers in 57 and 58, the year after their last pennant in Brooklyn and the year before their first pennant in LA.
                  Good job Ian. I found the story of that game in 39 interesting. What gave it to you?
                  Last edited by dwj21792; 06-11-2021, 12:01 AM.
                  27 World Championships
                  22 retired numbers

Comment

We already established that he did not play his final major league game before 1960.
                    Missed it...

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                    I'll make another guess that I once guessed incorrectly in a different game: Are you Elmer Valo?
                    Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

hInts
                    Nomad-He played on 5 teams in 7 different cities. Notably he was with the A's both in Philadelphia and Kansas City, Dodgers in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, and the Senators/Twins in Washington and Minnesota, making the ,moves with those teams.
                    Expunged-As stated by Valo and confirmed by HOF sportswriter Red Smith, who was official scorer for the game, Valo played in a game for the A's in 1939 but his participation was expunged from the record because he was not part of the A's roster at the time, saving Connie Mack a potential fine.. Had this participation been official, Valo would have joined Williams, Wynn, and Mickey Vernon as 4 decade players from the 30s to the 60s.
                    In a pinch-He was a very good pinch hitter late in his career, setting a record for OBP as a pinch hitter
                    Foreigner-He was born in Czechoslavakia, in the part now known as Slovakia. As mentioned in another hint his birth name was Imrich.
                    One note on one of the questions and my answer. He played 8 games for the 1960 Yankees before being released and picked up by the Senators. So he did briefly play for a pennant winner, though he was not on their roster at season's end. Ironically he was with the Dodgers in 57 and 58, the year after their last pennant in Brooklyn and the year before their first pennant in LA.
                    Good job Ian. I found the story of that game in 39 interesting. What gave it to you?
                    Well done both, I wasn't even close. Valo never even entered my mind.

The clues didn't click first time through, and even knowing these things now aren't things I remember of Valo...I had no idea he was born in Slovakia!

Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM.

The 1906 "Hitless Wonders" Chicago White Sox were the greatest team of all time.
                    Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

hInts
                      So let me see if I can remember my thought process.

When we learned that he'd played for quite a few teams, I assumed it was some guy who played no more than about five years with any team. We also knew that his career began before WWII, but I was drawing a blank. I originally thought of Dave Philley, since he seemed to meet most of the requirements. When he turned out to be wrong, I thought of Valo, but I knew he'd spent a good chunk of his career with the Athletics, and only started bouncing around at the end of his career. I also knew he was born somewhere in Eastern Europe, so the foreigner clue seemed like it could be applicable to that. After I learned that he'd spent more than 10 years with one team, and that it was the team he debuted with, I figured that was enough to guess him.
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Nice clues!

When I first saw the clue about the name; I thought it was kind of a trick question!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
                        1969 1971 1979
                        1973 1974 1997 2014
                        1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

Comment

• Thanks guys. I love hosting this game because it gives me the chance to research players. I love baseball history. Of course at 64, I've seen a lot of it myself.
                          I found the information about the 1939 game particularly interesting. Red Smith was probably my favorite sportswriter growing up.
                          27 World Championships
                          22 retired numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
                            Thanks guys. I love hosting this game because it gives me the chance to research players. I love baseball history. Of course at 64, I've seen a lot of it myself.
                            I found the information about the 1939 game particularly interesting. Red Smith was probably my favorite sportswriter growing up.
                            That info about the 1939 game is interesting. I'd never heard that before. I actually looked into it, and there does seem to be some circumstantial evidence that supports the possibility, but nothing definitive. It'd be cool if there were some way to prove it.
                            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

That info about the 1939 game is interesting. I'd never heard that before. I actually looked into it, and there does seem to be some circumstantial evidence that supports the possibility, but nothing definitive. It'd be cool if there were some way to prove it.
                              Agreed. All we have now is the word of the player and official scorer. Nobody who was there is around anymore, I think.
                              It is interesting that Valo's claim is backed by one of the greatest sportswriters of all time though.
                              27 World Championships
                              22 retired numbers

Comment

• Time for a new game!

Hint (and I'm going to make you watch the whole clip for it!):

I need to make the theme song my cell phone ring tone! One of the best themes ever!
                                Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 06-15-2021, 04:35 PM.

The 1906 "Hitless Wonders" Chicago White Sox were the greatest team of all time.
                                Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X