No announcement yet.

Who am I? game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, Jason, I hope I'm not too late. Are you Mel Harder?

Comment

• Well I was thinking .... if anyone can solve this, it would be you Chinese Home Run.

For I am Mel Harder!

Here were the clues:

Picture of the goose egg: Well over the course of 4 All Star Games (34-35-36-37) and a total of 13 innings pitched; my cumulative Earned Run Average was a giant ZERO! And these weren't garbage time appearances, I earned the win in 34 and got the save in 35 and 37.

I was there for the premier, and also there for the final curtain: I started the first game ever played at Cleveland Municipal Stadium on 7/31/32. Then on 10/3/93, 83 year old me threw a ceremonial final pitch post-game after the final game at said stadium.

Audio of Alice Cooper song "I'm Eighteen": Two meanings here; one is that I made my MLB debut in 1928 at the age of 18. The other is that it was the number I wore most of my career with the Indians (it was retired in 1990).

My hometown did something nice for me: In the later years of my life, I lived in the town of Chardon, Ohio where a small park was named for me. Fittingly after I died in 2002, my ashes were scattered over the baseball field there.

It's not an ending, just a new beginning: My last year playing in MLB was 1947, but that didn't mean I was finished with baseball. I then began a new career as a pitching coach; working for the Indians (49-63), Mets (64), Cubs (65), Reds (66-68) and finally the Royals (69). Thus I'm the only person in MLB to have a 20 year playing and coaching career.

A losing effort, but it was a history making day nonetheless: The day Larry Doby became the first African American to integrate the American League (7/5/47), I was the starting/losing pitcher.

I got enough support, but entry denied: One year, I actually got over the 75% threshold vote from the Veteran's Committee to enter the Baseball Hall of Fame. Yet I was denied entry because two other players got the threshold vote.

What's your 20?: During my coaching years with the Indians (48-63); the pitchers I coached accumulated a total of 17 20 win seasons (Bob Lemon 7 times, Early Wynn 4 times, Mike Garcia 2 times, Bob Feller/Gene Bearden/Herb Score/Dick Donovan 1 time).

So what finally made it click for you?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
      1969 1971 1979
      1973 1974 1997 2014
      1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason R. Maier View Post
        Well I was thinking .... if anyone can solve this, it would be you Chinese Home Run.

For I am Mel Harder!

Here were the clues:

Picture of the goose egg: Well over the course of 4 All Star Games (34-35-36-37) and a total of 13 innings pitched; my cumulative Earned Run Average was a giant ZERO! And these weren't garbage time appearances, I earned the win in 34 and got the save in 35 and 37.

I was there for the premier, and also there for the final curtain: I started the first game ever played at Cleveland Municipal Stadium on 7/31/32. Then on 10/3/93, 83 year old me threw a ceremonial final pitch post-game after the final game at said stadium.

Audio of Alice Cooper song "I'm Eighteen": Two meanings here; one is that I made my MLB debut in 1928 at the age of 18. The other is that it was the number I wore most of my career with the Indians (it was retired in 1990).

My hometown did something nice for me: In the later years of my life, I lived in the town of Chardon, Ohio where a small park was named for me. Fittingly after I died in 2002, my ashes were scattered over the baseball field there.

It's not an ending, just a new beginning: My last year playing in MLB was 1947, but that didn't mean I was finished with baseball. I then began a new career as a pitching coach; working for the Indians (49-63), Mets (64), Cubs (65), Reds (66-68) and finally the Royals (69). Thus I'm the only person in MLB to have a 20 year playing and coaching career.

A losing effort, but it was a history making day nonetheless: The day Larry Doby became the first African American to integrate the American League (7/5/47), I was the starting/losing pitcher.

I got enough support, but entry denied: One year, I actually got over the 75% threshold vote from the Veteran's Committee to enter the Baseball Hall of Fame. Yet I was denied entry because two other players got the threshold vote.

What's your 20?: During my coaching years with the Indians (48-63); the pitchers I coached accumulated a total of 17 20 win seasons (Bob Lemon 7 times, Early Wynn 4 times, Mike Garcia 2 times, Bob Feller/Gene Bearden/Herb Score/Dick Donovan 1 time).

Over 200 wins, one team, and oddly enough, I was thinking with the "What's your 20" clue that Harder will very likely be on a very short list of players that spent 20 years with just one team and will not make it to the Hall of Fame.

Comment

• I was about to guess Harder but CHR beat me to it.
          Last edited by dwj21792; 10-12-2021, 10:36 PM.
          27 World Championships
          22 retired numbers
          Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
          Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

• I'll do one
            hint-honeymoon spot
            27 World Championships
            22 retired numbers

Comment

Well I was thinking .... if anyone can solve this, it would be you Chinese Home Run.

For I am Mel Harder!

Here were the clues:

I wasn't even in the right era...I was concentrating on 1960's era players. Note to self: establish era first.
              "I, Toledo Inquisition, firmly believe that the New York Mets will win the 2021 World Series."
              Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
                I'll do one
                hint-honeymoon spot
                Were you primarily a pitcher?
                "I, Toledo Inquisition, firmly believe that the New York Mets will win the 2021 World Series."
                Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Were you primarily a pitcher?
                  Yes I was.
                  27 World Championships
                  22 retired numbers

Comment

• I'll have some fun with my wild guess, although I'm probably a million miles away. Are you Sal Maglie?

Comment

• Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
                      I'll have some fun with my wild guess, although I'm probably a million miles away. Are you Sal Maglie?
                      You're no fun. For I am Sal Maglie. He was born in Niagara Falls. But I had a number of hints I wanted to use. Oh,well.
                      27 World Championships
                      22 retired numbers

Comment

• One clue solving "Who Am I?" that's got to be a record!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
                        1969 1971 1979
                        1973 1974 1997 2014
                        1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

Comment

One clue solving "Who Am I?" that's got to be a record!
                          The more amazing thing is THAT was the clue that got the answer! Not something a bit on the obvious side like about close shaves, or being a player on all three NYC teams during the 1950s golden age.
                          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post

The more amazing thing is THAT was the clue that got the answer! Not something a bit on the obvious side like about close shaves, or being a player on all three NYC teams during the 1950s golden age.
                            I had planned on using both of those facts in hints, though not in those exact words since it would make it too obvious.
                            27 World Championships
                            22 retired numbers

Comment

• As no one has started a new one, I have a player in mind.

First hint: He played baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexS View Post
                                As no one has started a new one, I have a player in mind.

First hint: He played baseball.
                                Are you sure ? Why on earth would you do a guy who played baseball on a baseball forum?
                                Seriously, were you a pitcher?
                                27 World Championships
                                22 retired numbers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X